Second degree students are those who have earned a previous bachelor’s degree in another field prior to the application deadline. Second degree students may apply to the 6-term Bachelor of Science in Nursing option or the Accelerated 4-term Bachelor of Science in Nursing option.
BSN 6-term Option: December 22nd (May matriculation)
ABSN 4-term Option: August 10th (January matriculation)
Minimum GPA Requirements
Minimum cumulative GPA required for the 6-term BSN option: Effective May 2014 matriculation (December 2013 application deadline), all applicants to the BSN option must have earned a cumulative GPA of at least 2.8 (Faculty approved 4/15/13).
Minimum cumulative GPA required for the 4-term ABSN option: 3.0
Admission to the School of Nursing is competitive. All applicants seeking admission as second degree students must have earned the first degree prior to submitting the nursing application. Applicants must be eligible to return to all institutions previously attended. The admissions committee critically evaluates each applicant’s academic performance, descriptive essays, community service history, and special skills and abilities that have the potential to affect care delivery or contribute overall to the nursing profession. The ideal applicant will clearly demonstrate a strong academic history as well as a commitment to the ideology of nursing and service to others. Performance in required science courses is particularly important.
Prerequisites for second degree students applying to the 6-term BSN option orthe 4-term ABSN option are:
*Biol 252 Fundamentals of Human Anatomy & Physiology (note: online lab is unacceptable)
*Phyi 202 Introduction to Physiology
*Mcro 251 Microbiology (note: online lab is unacceptable)
*Stor 151 Basic Concepts of Statistics and Data Analysis OR Stor 155 Introduction to Statistics
*Psyc 101 General Psychology
US Diversity OR Global Issues Course (examples of courses that fulfill this requirement are listed here
* ABSN Applicants must have completed ALL science prerequisites by the application deadline, and the US Diversity or Global Issues requirement must be completed before matriculating into the program in January.
* BSN must have completed at least three of the science prerequisites* by the application deadline, and the remaining prerequisites must be completed before matriculating into the program in May.
* Effective May 2014 matriculation (December 2013 application deadline), applicants must have earned a grade of B- or better in BIOL 252, PHYI 202, MCRO 251 and a C or better in PSYC 101, and STOR 151/155 or approved equivalents (Faculty approved 4/15/13).
* All applicants must have completed the Science Prerequisites within ten years from the date of application submission.
* All applicants must have completed a full Anatomy and Physiology 1 and Anatomy and Physiology 2 sequence, or a complete course in Anatomy and a complete course in Physiology. BSN applicants can apply with A&P 2 or Physiology outstanding, but the course must be complete by May.
Questions About the Program
General questions: email@example.com
Application questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Transcript evaluation questions: email@example.com
Take advantage of our Live Counselor service. If a counselor is not available the system will allow you to leave a message for a Counselor that will be responded to as soon as possible.
Information sessions are held throughout the year. To RSVP, click here.