Application Deadline: Sunday, August 10, 2014
The information outlined below is intended to supplement to the Application Directions page of the online application and the instructions provided for each section of the online application. Please utilize all resources to ensure that you accurately complete the online application. You are responsible for accurately completing the application, so please read the “Application Directions” page thoroughly.
• Applicants must have their first bachelors degree conferred prior application deadline. If you are on track to graduate with a bachelor’s degree at any time AFTER the August application deadline, you should not apply to this cycle.
• At the time of application, each applicant must have an earned at least the minimum cumulative* GPA of 3.0 *Note: cumulative GPA includes all college-level courses completed since high school.
• ABSN option applicants must have completed ALL science prerequisites* at the time of application.
• As of the December 2013 deadline (May 2014 matriculation), applicants must have a grade of B- or better in BIOL 252, PHYI 202 and MCRO 251. A C or better is required in PSYC 101 and STOR 151/155.
• Beginning with the December 2010 application deadline (May 2011 matriculation), science prerequisites* must be completed within ten years of the application deadline.
• Beginning January 2012 matriculation (August 2011 application deadline), all applicants must have completed a full Anatomy and Physiology 1 and Anatomy and Physiology 2 sequence at the same institution, or a complete course in Anatomy and a complete course in Physiology.
* Science prerequisites are Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Statistics, and Psychology 101.
CREATE YOUR UNC ID
If you already have a UNC ID and password, please skip to the “Link to the Application” section below.
If you do not already have a UNC ID and password:
• If you are an Alumna/Alumnus or former student, please visit the following link to create your Guest ID: https://acapps.unc.edu/account/register/alumni.
• For all others, please visit the following to create your Guest ID: https://acapps.unc.edu/account/register.
Once you have created a Guest ID you will receive an email to change your password and from there you will have a link to the application.
LINK TO THE APPLICATION
To access the application, visit https://apply.unc.edu/onlapp/welcome.jsp and follow the steps below.
The initial questions to the application are extremely important because they determine which application you will access. Carefully review the screen shots below so you can make the correct selections as you begin your application. In order to make the correct selection for your “Entry Type”, it is important to read each option completely.
Each section of the application has very specific instructions. You can navigate through the application using the Navigation Bar provided on the left of the application, or you can select BACK or CONTINUE.
Please Note: To change sections using the Navigation Bar you must first select SAVE at the bottom of the page. The CONTINUE and BACK buttons will automatically save your data.
ABSN Applicants must have completed all science prerequisites at the time of application. Science prerequisites are: Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Statistics, and Psychology 101.
- If you are completing a pre-requisite course at the time you submit the application, indicate “in-progress” in the grade column. (NOTE: transcripts showing final grades for summer courses must be received within 15 days of the application deadline).
- If you are taking any courses in the coming semester, make sure you indicate that course in the Course Prior to Matriculation section of the application.
- If you are retaking a pre-requisite course to improve your grade, please provide an explanation in the Additional Information box for that course.
- If you did not receive a separate grade for the lab portion of Anatomy, Physiology, or Microbiology, enter N/A for the lab.
- If you received AP, BE, or PL credit for any of the pre-requisite courses, choose N/A for the course grade and put the test score in the Additional Information box. Also, report all test scores in the Additional Test Scores section of the application. Unless you received a previous degree from UNC-CH, you must submit all AP, BE, or PL test scores to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- If you have been advised by the Office of Student Affairs in the School of Nursing to follow a different prerequisites course plan, please contact one of our undergraduate advisors via email@example.com prior to submitting your application.
Because we don’t have the opportunity to meet or interview all of our applicants personally, we ask that you help us get to know you better through the required essays. Please read the questions carefully, and limit your responses to the lengths we’ve indicated.
Your essay document is to be double-spaced in at least font size 11. Your essays are to be in one document with a page break between each essay. Your full legal name should be at the top of each page. Please number each essay or identify it to the question. You are allowed a maximum of 2 pages per essay (6 pages total). Once you have selected SAVE you will have the option to view or remove the essay. Please make sure you have uploaded the correct document. If you attempt to upload more than one document (i.e. save a separate document for each essay) only the last document uploaded will be saved.
Each essay question may contain multiple parts so be sure to address all components. Carefully check your essays for spelling and grammar. Your ability to communicate will be evident in your essays. By signing the statement at the end of application, you verify that the essays are your own and were written by you.
- Failure to adhere to the formatting guidelines may result in your application being considered incomplete.
- Failure to submit two to three distinct essays may result in your application being considered incomplete.
- Discuss your previous academic, professional, community service, or personal experiences while identifying the skills and talents you possess that will contribute to your future work as a nurse.
- Describe a very difficult and/or rewarding experience you have had, and discuss how you dealt with it. Discuss in detail the way in which this particular experience impacted your life.
- OPTIONAL – Provide any additional information that you wish the Admissions Committee to consider in making a decision about your application.
The committee is particularly interested in:
- More detailed information regarding community service
- Identification/elaboration of any special skills/attributes you would bring to the program (e.g. foreign language fluency, international experience; health care experience, leadership experiences, etc.)
- Explain why you withdrew from enrolled courses, if any
- Explain academic performance if less than satisfactory
- If you have previously applied to the School of Nursing, identify improvements to portfolio since last application
- Any scholarships/funding you have been awarded to pursue a second degree in Nursing
The online Application Fee is $80
Should you choose to pay the application fee via check or money order please make payable to:
UNC-Chapel Hill Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Checks and Money Orders should be mailed to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
153A Country Club Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
If you select the Application Fee Waiver option, you are responsible for contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admission within one week of your application submission to obtain the Waiver Request Form.
- The Office of Undergraduate Admissions requires that you submit High School Transcripts. It is a requirement of their accreditation regardless of whether or not you have already completed a Bachelor’s Degree, a Master’s Degree, or a Doctor of Philosophy. ONLY those who have a bachelor’s degree from UNC Chapel Hill do not need to resubmit High School Transcripts.
- Transcripts are required from EACH college/university attended since high school. If course credits earned at one college/university appear as transfer credits on the transcript of a second school, we must have an official transcript from the school originally issuing the course credits. Transcripts are required reflecting all enrolled courses even if unrelated to nursing pre-requisites and regardless of whether you withdrew from the course prior to earning a grade.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions requires official transcripts from each high school attended from the 9th grade through 12th grade. Applicants must submit ALL High School and ALL college to:
UNC-CH Office of Undergraduate Admissions
CB 2200 – Jackson Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200
If you applied to the August 17, 2009 application deadline, or any subsequent application deadlines, you only need to submit transcripts for courses completed since the time you last applied. All transcripts should be submitted to:
UNC-CH Office of Undergraduate Admissions
CB 2200 – Jackson Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200
If you have questions about whether or not your transcripts have been received by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, please contact their office directly.
If you are enrolled in Summer semester courses, you have until August 25th to submit transcripts showing your final grades. We do not need two transcripts from the institution where you are taking Summer courses, so please wait and submit your final transcript once all grades and/or degrees are posted.
SAT and ACT scores are not required to apply to the School of Nursing. Should your Admissions To Do List indicate that you need to submit those scores, please ignore the item as it will be corrected internally by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
The application review process is extremely thorough and takes at least 12 weeks from the application deadline. Please do not contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions about admissions decisions unless you have not received a notification letter by November 1st.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions administers the online application. If you have any questions about filling out the online application, please contact Admissions via firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 966-3621. If you have any technical problems, such as browsers or login issues, contact the UNC Help Desk at (919) 962-HELP (4357).
- If you have questions about whether or not your transcripts have been received by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, please contact their office directly. email@example.com
- If you have any technical problems, such as browsers or login issues, contact the UNC Help Desk at (919) 962-HELP (4357).
- If you have questions about completing the application sections, please contact the School of Nursing Office of Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org, and you will receive a response within 1 to 2 business days.