For PhD Applicants

Increase font size
Decrease font size

Graduate Student Scholarship/Financial Aid Process:

STEP 1: Read the general information below page about Scholarships and Financial Aid for PhD students.
STEP 2: Contact the University Office of Scholarship and Student Aid at (919) 962-8396 or visit the web site for more information.
STEP 3: Visit the Department of Education’s Student Guide web page and complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA).
STEP 4: Visit the Graduate Funding Information Center
STEP 5: Visit the Graduate School Funding Database – COS Pivot
STEP 6: Visit the Graduate School Funding Page
STEP 7: Visit the School of Nursing Scholarships and Funding Resources Page.
STEP 8: Pursue funding sources outside the University, including professional associations. Many sources can be found on the Internet. Several are listed on our financial aid links page.

Need-based Aid

Full-time students in the School of Nursing’s PhD Program may be eligible for both merit-based and need-based financial aid. The University’s Office of Scholarships and Student Aid administer need-based aid. Nursing students are eligible for scholarships and loans on the same basis as all other graduate students at the University.

Students also are encouraged to seek financial aid through their local communities and through scholarships available from sources outside the University, for example, employers, fraternal, civic and professional organizations, and military services.

Merit-based Scholarships

Awards administered by the UNC-CH School of Nursing are merit-based and include scholarships, assistantships, and fellowships. Six full awards are made to new PhD students for the first two years of study.

Merit Assistantships (at least 2 awards)

Upon application to the doctoral program, students are considered (without further application needed) for a two-year fully funded award. Scholarship funds for these awards are provided in part by the following funds: Elizabeth Scott Carrington Scholarship, Glaxo Fellowship, Kellett Scholarship, Lunsford Richardson Scholarship, Joanne A. Sondergaard Scholarship, The Mary P. Speight Scholarship, and UNC-CH Graduate School Merit Assistantship.

Fellowships in Interventions to Prevent and Manage Chronic Illness (4 awards) and Fellowships in Health Care Quality and Patient Outcomes (2 awards)

The School of Nursing has two Institutional National Research Awards from the National Institute of Nursing Research to support doctoral fellows in their study. After admission to the School of Nursing, students apply for this fellowship through faculty in the School.

National Institutes of Health Research Supplements for Underrepresented Minority Graduate Students

This NIH program supports minority graduate nursing students giving them an opportunity for further development as researchers. Principal investigators on the faculty holding active NIH research grants are eligible to submit a request for an administrative supplement to support a minority graduate research assistant. Underrepresented minority (which includes African American, Hispanic, Native American, Alaskan Native, or Pacific Islander) graduate students actively pursuing a doctoral degree are eligible for consideration. The NIH provides support for a salary and necessary expenses.

Employment opportunities

Employment opportunities are available to graduate students in the School of Nursing as teaching or research assistants. Both types of assistantships provide valuable learning experiences. Once admitted, students are notified of employment opportunities as they become available.

More information and policies on student employment is available in the current student handbook.

Dissertation Research Support

Dissertation research support is available from both the School and the University to help defray the expenses of dissertation research. PhD students planning to begin their dissertation should investigate direct and indirect funding opportunities through their departments, the Office of Academic Affairs, the Research Support Center and other research centers on and off campus.