Instructor: Gail Mazzocco , RN, EdD
Length: 2 to 3 hours
This program reviews the basic skills used to assess the gastrointestinal system. Using a workshop format, participants will briefly review the anatomy and physiology of that system, observe and participate in a demonstration of physical examination techniques and then practice those techniques. Common deviations of the GI system will be reviewed.
At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Identify at least three health history questions that are significant when assessing the abdomen.
- Describe pertinent anatomy and physiology of digestive system.
- Identify four techniques that are a part of an adult's health assessment.
- Accurately use those techniques to assess an adult’s abdomen.
- Distinguish between normal and four common abnormal physical assessment findings.
- Identify at least three common abnormal findings for the GI system.