- At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- describe the competencies identified in the nursing literature for the charge nurse role,
- examine the functional areas of the charge nurse role(i.e. communication, delegation) to identify individual knowledge deficits and create developmental plans for reducing/eliminating the deficits,
- explore a critical thinking framework that will facilitate decision-making, conflict management, and personnel management,
- discuss strategies for enhancing their ability to organize their work and to facilitate others in the organization of their work,
- assess their preferences and current approaches to leadership skills such as communication styles, time management, and conflict management, and
- create a personal plan for leadership development that is integrated into an overall career plan.
RNs beginning a charge nurse role, experienced charge nurses interested in using a systematic approach to developing in the charge nurse role, and nurse managers interested in a systematic framework for developing charge nurses in their settings.