Instructor: Marcia Van Riper
Length: 2 - 6 Hours
The purpose of this workshop is to explore how nurses and other health care providers can help families maximize the benefits of recent advances in genetics. At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the goals and implications of the Human Genome Project.
- Engage in dialogue regarding the ethical, legal, and social issues raised by the Human Genome Project and other genetic advances.
- Discuss how individuals and families define and manage the ethical, legal, and social issues associated with caring for a family member with a genetic condition.
- Identify genetic resources for health care providers and families.
- Discuss priorities and future directions for nursing education, research and practice concerning genetics and the family.