Instructor: Regina McCarthy
Length: 1 to 2 hours
Review of the extent of the problem on a public health and individual level. A review of the physiology of bone metabolism and what changes happen in perimenopause and menopause. Prevention strategies including dietary, supplements, exercise, lifestyle, hormonal, and medication, including when to start prevention. Importance of bone density testing, when to screen and when to start.
- At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Discribe the prevalence and risk factors for osteopenia/osteoporosis.
- Discuss basics of bone metabolism and changes brought about by perimenopause/menopause.
- Identify indications for bone density screening and how to interpret results.
- Describe means of preventing and treating osteopenia/osteoporosis, including lifestyle, diet, supplements and medications/hormones.
Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Nursing Educators, Physicians