Guidelines for Arranging AHEC/SON Continuing Education Programs
The School of Nursing (SON) AHEC office is pleased to assist regional AHEC Nursing personnel throughout the state by providing speakers to teach continuing education programs in their regions. The following guidelines describe the process.
- Review the online SON AHEC Speakers and Programs Catalog to match faculty expertise with regional needs. If you require additional assistance with identifying potential speakers or programs, please call the SON AHEC office at 919-966-3736 or you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- After choosing a program, please fill in the Program Request Form and click the submit button. Once the request is received, the SON AHEC staff will contact the speaker to see if he/she is available to teach the requested program. After confirming availability, the SON AHEC office will provide the regional coordinator with the speaker’s contact information.
- After confirmation, please contact the faculty member directly to discuss details of the program and to determine a mutually agreeable date. After the details are confirmed, contact the SON AHEC Office to provide the program information (date, location, and times).
- The SON AHEC office works with the hosting AHEC and generates an Agreement to Provide an Educational Offering between the regional AHEC, the speaker, and the SON AHEC Office.
- An email copy of that agreement is sent to the regional AHEC.
- Please review it carefully.
- If changes are required, please submit them to the SON AHEC office for revision. Do not sign an inaccurate agreement.
- If the agreement is satisfactory please type your name and date at the bottom of the agreement and return to the SON AHEC office for the faculty member’s signature and date.
Please note: In order to confirm a program, the speaker and the regional AHEC Nurse Director/Coordinator both need to sign the agreement and return to the SON AHEC office prior to the scheduled program.
Program and travel arrangements:
- The hosting AHEC makes all program presentation arrangements for speakers and requests the materials required for CE approval.
- The SON AHEC Office makes all travel arrangements including state automobiles and Med-Air flights.
- It is preferred that the hosting AHEC make hotel reservations for a speaker. If this is not possible, the SON AHEC office will request local hotel recommendations from the regional AHEC and the speaker will then make his/her own reservations.
- Please check with the SON AHEC office prior to making a hotel reservation for a speaker.
- No regional AHEC should pay for a hotel room because this is considered a SON AHEC expense. The speaker must charge the hotel room to a personal credit card and the SON AHEC office will reimburse the speaker.
- If faculty members travel by Med-Air, the hosting AHEC provides ground transportation from the airport to the CE site.
- If speakers ask the hosting AHEC to make travel arrangements for them, please refer them back to the SON AHEC office.
- Please put the following statement on all marketing materials: “This program is being offered in cooperation with the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Nursing”.
Enrollments, Cancellations and Postponements:
- In general, the minimum enrollment is 15 participants in non-rural and 10 participants in rural areas. However, it may be possible to offer a program that is under-enrolled. Please contact the SON AHEC office prior to canceling any programs.
- If it is necessary to cancel or postpone a program, please notify the SON AHEC office a minimum of three days prior to the scheduled date and let us know why the change is necessary.
Program Closeout Documentation:
- For programs which occur prior to June 1st : Within one month of program completion, please send our office the following information:
- An agenda
- A program brochure
- CASCE Event number OR a typed participant roster with participant’s ID, address, county and workplace
- Composite faculty evaluations with any narrative comments
- A program purpose
(Information requested is sometimes included on program brochure.)
- For programs scheduled after June 1st: It is essential that the information listed above is sent so that it arrives in the SON AHEC office no later than June 30th. If the SON AHEC office does not receive these materials by that date, our ability to count those program hours may be affected.