All students are required to present proof of CPR certification. Evidence of certification in the form of a copy of the American Heart Association certification card is required:
- Minimum certification requirement: AHA Basic Life Support (BLS) or Healthcare Provider level with minimally a 2-year certification term.
- BLS-Instructor, ACLS, ACLS-Instructor, PALS, and PALS-Instructor certifications are acceptable alternatives
- Effective October 2014, certification based on the 2015 AHA BLS guidelines is required (updated courses began ~April 2011)
- Note: Neither American Red Cross CPR Certification nor “Chain of Survival” courses are acceptable
Students must maintain current CPR certification throughout enrollment in the School in Nursing. An expired CPR certification will result in immediate restriction from the clinical setting thus jeopardize student standing in the program.
Courses are available through most hospitals, AHECs, and local American Heart Association affiliates. Local vendors providing individual instruction for certification and re-certification offer a flexible option; one such instructor is:
- Carolina CPR Associates, LLC: Glenda George, Instructor. Contact information: 919-544-5027 or Glendaemail@example.com. Visit their website at http://www.carolinacprassociates.com.
Note: The School of Nursing offers AHA BLS certification courses during the spring and summer terms. More information is available following new cohort matriculation.
Revised: 0305, 02/06, 10/06, 04/09; 0211;0316