Welcome to the School of Nursing at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill!
We are delighted you have joined us and look forward to working with you. The information below includes documents required to complete your faculty appointment as well as information you will find valuable as a faculty member of the SON.
Please take your time to review all information carefully and contact the School of Nursing Office of Human Resources at (919) 966-9943 if you have any questions. Please bookmark this information should you need a refresher on specific information in the future.
Please read and complete each form. Each form requires an original signature and date with the exception of the NC BON-CV.
Return all completed and signed original forms to:
UNC School of Nursing
Office of Human Resources
108 Carrington Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7460.
- AP-2 (only need to complete sections 1-8)
- AP-2a (remember sign and date both the top and bottom sections)
- I-9 form (The I-9 form process is conducted in person only. A list of acceptable identification is located on page 9.) Please contact the HR facilitator at 919-966-4267 to schedule an appointment to complete the I-9 requirement.)
- Direct Deposit Notice Form
- Direct Deposit Authorization Form
- Travel Agreement
- Confidentiality Statement
- Current Home Address & Phone Number and Emergency Contact Info
North Carolina Board of Nursing (ONLY for faculty teaching Undergraduate Courses)
- NC BON-CV Faculty Vitae (please submit electronically via email to your Division Chair/Manager. Once reviewed and updated by your Division Chair it will be forwarded to the SON Human Resources Manager for processing)
UNIVERSITY AND School of Nursing COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Compliance requirements for all employees :
- RN licensure (only required if you have a RN license)
- HIPAA certification (should be completed 1 week from assignment of PID number or hire date).
- CPR Certification
- Health & Safety requirements
- Overview of Initial and Continuing employment requirements
- SON Guidelines for Professional Malpractice Coverage
- Workplace Violence Prevention and Disruptive Conduct Position Statement
- Compliance requirements for faculty and staff who have access to student information:
FERPA training is required before a faculty member can be activated in ConnectCarolina and given access to their course information such as class rosters.
Click here for FERPA training.
- Compliance requirements for External Professional Activities for Pay (EPAP)
- External Professional Activities for Pay (EPAP) requests should be submitted for prior approval into the online AIR system (http://air.unc.edu) pursuant to the Board of Governors’ Policy on External Professional Activities. Please use your ONYEN userid and password to access the system.
- For more information on EPAP, please visit the University’s EPAP policy page. The University, through the Office of University Counsel, collects and reports External Professional Activities for Pay as required in the Board of Governors’ Policy on Conflict of Commitment , Regulations on External Professional Activities for Pay by Faculty and Non-Faculty EPA Employees, and UNC Chapel Hill Policy on Individual Conflicts of Interest and Commitment.
- Please direct any questions to the Office of University Counsel, at 843-9953, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Compliance requirements for partial or fully funded grant positions :
ECRT System (Effort Certification)
- If any part of your pay is from a grant account, you will receive an ECRT reminder via email on a semi annual basis. The email will contain a link to the ECRT website which will require you to login using your Onyen userid and password. Once you login, your ECRT record will show the distribution of all your salary funding sources by percentage(%). You will need to verify the funding sources and percentages, then approve your record.
- Note: If you are part-time, the ECRT system will represent 100% of your part-time FTE.
Example: If you paid at .75 FTE, then your percent effort would show that you were paid 100% of your .75 FTE.
- All grant funded employees are required to complete the human subjects education and have an OSR certificate added to their project folder in the IRB office.
insurance – IMPORTANT!
- Permanent employees click here to sign up for BENEFITS (Not for Temporary Employees)
- Liability Insurance – The School requires enrollment in a professional liability insurance plan of each faculty/staff member who engages in interviewing, teaching or rendering nursing care, supervising students and/or clinical research in a hospital setting. Undergraduate Faculty who teach or supervise students in hospital settings are covered under the School’s blanket liability policy that covers undergraduate students. Nonetheless, individual liability coverage is strongly recommended.
- If you need access to the UNC Hospitals CIS computer system or a UNC Hospital photo ID badge please contact your Divison Manager.
If you have any questions, please contact the School of Nursing Human Resources Office at (919) 966-9943.
other helpful information
Parking (for permanent employees only)
- Parking applications are completed at the end of the spring semester (May) for the upcoming academic year (approx. dates are Aug. 15th – Aug. 14th). For general information and parking availability, please contact the SON Parking Coordinator, Charlene Womble, 966-9943, email@example.com, Carrington Hall room 108. To review the SON parking policy please click here: Parking Policy. All new employees should complete the following form which allows the Parking Coordinator to allocate permits in a fair and equitable manner: Parking Form.
- Special Parking – Visitor parking permits are available for University guests and should be reserved by contacting the SON Parking Coordinator, Charlene Womble, 966-9943, firstname.lastname@example.org, Carrington Hall room 108. Reservations should be made at least 24 hours in advance. Visitor permits must be returned at the time the visitor departs and no later than 5pm. If the permit is needed past 5pm, it must be returned by 8am the following morning.
- ONYEN — The “Only Name You’ll Ever Need” — the University’s (and SON’s) primary login and password system.
- ONE Card information
- Faculty members typically receive a paycheck on the last working day of the month except for the month of December when paychecks are received prior to Winter Break. If your start date is after the fifteenth of the month, there is a possibility that your first paycheck will be on the last working day of the following month due to payroll deadlines. To access your paystub, connect to ConnectCarolina, select “Login to ConnectCarolina (faculty, staff and alumni).” Use your ONYEN to log in, and click on the “SelfService” tab on the left. Select “View Paycheck” to view and print your most recent paystub.
- Monthly Pay Schedule
- University Holidays
- Academic Calendar
- Time Information Management system (TIM) to record leave used – for 12 month employees only
- SON Organizational Chart
- Building Services and Amenities
- Room reservations can be made through the University’s InfoPorte system. The system allows users to access individual room schedules, view the room/amenities, and request a reservation by:
2) Click on “Tools” in the upper right corner of the screen and then click on the “Reservations” tab.3) Find the “Name” of the room you are interested in reserving (i.e. Carrington 1600). You can check the schedule or view the room description by clicking on the appropriate link.4) When you are ready to request a reservation, click on the name of the room and the email request form will appear. Complete and submit. You will receive an email confirmation once the reservation is finalized.
- Keys are issued on an employees first day of work by the SON Facilities Manager, Sam Deal, 966-1698, email@example.com.
- After hours building access is granted by the SON Facilities Manager, Sam Deal, 966-1698, firstname.lastname@example.org. You must use your ONE Card to access Carrington Hall after hours.
- Visit our Website, for more detailed information and helpful related sites.
We want to make sure that you have reviewed all the information that has been presented here. So after you review everything, fill in your name in the space below and hit the “Reviewed” button.