Dr. Anna Beeber was selected as a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholar for this year. The RWJF Nurse Faculty Scholars program is strengthening the academic productivity and overall excellence of nursing schools by developing the next generation of leaders in academic nursing. Each Nurse Faculty Scholar receives a three-year $350,000 grant to pursue research, as well as mentoring from senior faculty at his or her institution. The award is given to junior faculty who show outstanding promise as future leaders in academic nursing. The Scholars chosen this year are conducting a range of health studies, from using story-telling to encourage Native American women to get mammograms, to using simulation to help reduce medical errors in hospitals caused by interruptions, to examining the impact of family strength and parenting on reducing risky behavior among teens, to investigating whether home improvements can realize health benefits for disabled, low-income seniors. Dr. Beeber’s research is focused on developing best nursing practices in assisted living.
- Gerontological Society of America: The 64th Annual Scientific Meeting is scheduled for November 18-22, 2011 in Boston, MA.
- The American Geriatrics Society: The 2012 Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society (AGS) is scheduled for May 3-5 in Seattle, WA.
- The National Gerontological Nurses Week: October 1-8, 2011
- The 2011 North Carolina Conference on Aging: October 18-20 at the Hilton Charlotte University Place Hotel in Charlotte.
- Get the UNC Institute on Aging Seminar Series calendar athttp://www.aging.unc.edu/events/seminars.html