Preparing for Travel

Increase font size
Decrease font size

Travel Insurance

Travel insurance including evacuation is required for all UNC students and faculty traveling outside of the US as part of academic credit or a work experience. You MUST obtain insurance in order to get credit for your elective or receive funding from UNC sources. Travel insurance information can be obtained on the Health and Safety Requirements Database.

Passport Info

Information regarding passport and visa applications is available on the US Dept. of State’s site. Additional guidelines can be found here. Be sure that you have contact information for the embassy/consulate office in the country you are visiting and that you have submitted an emergency contact information sheet to the SON before your departure.

UNC Student Health Services

Student Health provides an International Travel Clinic for all UNC students. You can make an appointment by calling 966-6573. The International Travel Clinic can help to get all your immunizations and meds needed for travel.

UNC School of Medicine

The University’s School of Medicine, Office of International Activities (OIA), has a compendium of resources that you may find helpful in your preparations. The office’s “Going Abroad” page is particularly helpful as you take steps toward planning your experience.

Why Go?

If you’ve got questions about what a global health experience entails and what it could mean to your nursing education and career, please see this PDF.