Coretta Jenerette, PhD, RN, CNE
Phone: (919) 843-5425
Specialty Area: Adult Health
Currently Accepting PhD Students
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Nursing
426 Carrington Hall, CB #7460
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7460
- 2003-2004 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration-American Nurses Association Minority Fellow
- 2006-2010 NIH Health Disparities Scholar
- 2008 Virginia Stone, RN/ANF Scholar
- 2009 Nursing Outlook Best Research Paper published in 2007-2008: Models of Inter-Institutional Collaboration to Build Research Capacity for Reducing Health Disparities
- 2010-2011 Mentee, Summer Institute Program to Increase Diversity (SIPID)- Functional Genomics of Blood Disorders, National Heart, Lung, & Blood Institute (University of Texas at Dallas)
- 2012-2015 NIH Early Career Reviewer Program
- 2010, 2015: Faculty Award for Excellence in Doctoral Mentorship and Education Nominee: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Nursing
- Matthie, N., Hamilton, J., Wells, D., and Jenerette, C. (in press). Perceptions of young adults with sickle cell disease concerning disease management and healthcare access. Journal of Advanced Nursing.
- Matthie, N., & Jenerette, C. (in press). Sickle cell disease in adults: What staff nurses need to know. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing.
- Jenerette, C. M., Pierre-Louis, B. J., Matthie, N., & Giaradeau, Y. (2015). Nurses’ attitudes toward patients with sickle cell disease: A worksite comparison. Pain Management Nursing, 16(3), 173-181. doi:10.1016/j.pmn.2014.06.007
- Bryant, A.L., Smith, S., Zimmer, C., Crandell, J., Jenerette, C., Bailey, D., Zimmerman, S., & Mayer, D.K. (2015). An exploratory path model of the relationships between positive and negative adaptation to cancer on quality of life among non-Hodgkin lymphoma survivors. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 33(3), 310-331. doi: 10.1080/07347332.2015.1020978
- Matthie, N., Brewer, C. A., Moura, V., & Jenerette, C. M., (2015). Breathing exercises for inpatients with sickle cell disease. MEDSURG Nursing, 24, 35-38.
- Matthie, N., Jenerette, C., & McMillan, S. (2015). Role of self-care in sickle cell disease. Pain Management Nursing, 16(3), 257-266. doi: 10.1016/j.pmn.2014.07.003.
- Jenerette, C. M, Brewer, C. A., Edwards, L. J, Mishel, M. H, & Gil, K. M. (2014). An intervention to decrease stigma in young adults with sickle cell disease. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 15(1), 324-330.
- Jenerette, C. M., Brewer, C. A., & Ataga, K. I. (2014). Care seeking for pain in young adults with sickle cell disease. Pain Management Nursing, S1524-9042(12)00175-0. doi: 10.1016/j.pmn.2012.10.007.
- Oermann, M. H., & Jenerette, C. M. (2013). Scientific nursing journals over 25 years: most studies continue to focus on adults and psychological variables, with a decline in theory-testing-based studies and an increase in qualitative studies. Evidenced-Based Nursing, 16(4), 117-118. 10.1136/eb-2012-101115
- Jenerette, C., & Leak, A. (2012). The role of oncology nurses in the care of adults with sickle cell disease. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 16(6), 633-635. doi: 10.1188/12.CJON.633-635; 10.1188/12.CJON.633-635
- Jenerette, C., Brewer, C. A., Crandell, J., & Ataga, K. I. (2012). Preliminary validity and reliability of the sickle cell disease health-related stigma scale. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 33(6), 363-369. doi: 10.3109/01612840.2012.656823; 10.3109/01612840.2012.656823
- Jenerette, C., Leak, A., Sandelowski, M. (2011). Life stories of older adults with sickle cell disease. ABNF Journal, 22(3), 58-63.
- Jenerette, C., Brewer, C. A., & Leak, A. (2011). Self-care recommendations of middle-aged and older adults with sickle cell disease. Nursing Research and Practice, 2011(2011). doi:10.1155/2011/270594
- Jenerette, C. & Brewer, C. (2011). Situation, background, assessment, recommendation (SBAR) may benefit individuals who frequent the emergency department: Adults with sickle cell disease. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 37(6), 559-561. doi:10.1016/j.jen.2011.02.012
- Jenerette, C., & Brewer, C. (2010). Health-related stigma in young adults with sickle cell disease. Journal of the National Medical Association, 102, 1050-1055.
- Jenerette, C., & Valrie, C. (2010). The influence of maternal behaviors during childhood on self-efficacy in individuals with sickle cell disease. Journal of Family Nursing. 16, 422-434.
- Jenerette, C., & Dixon, J. (2010). Developing a short-form of the Simple Rathus Assertiveness Schedule using a sample of adults with sickle cell disease. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 21, 314-324.
- Jenerette, C. (2008). Relationships among types of social support and quality of life in adults with sickle cell disease. Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research, 8(3), 1-14. http://snrs.org/publications/SOJNR_articles2/Vol08Num03Art04.pdf
- Jenerette, C., & Lauderdale, G. (2008). Successful aging with sickle cell disease: Using qualitative methods to inform theory. Journal of Theory Construction and Testing, 12, 16-24.
- Jenerette, C., & Murdaugh, C. (2008).Testing the theory of self-care management for sickle cell disease. Research in Nursing & Health, 31, 355–369.
- Jenerette, C., Funk, M., Ruff, C., Grey, M., Adderley-Kelly, B.,… McCorkle, R (2008). Models of inter-institutional collaboration to build research capacity for reducing health disparities. Nursing Outlook, 56, 16-24.
- Using a dyadic approach of adolescents with sickle cell disease and their mothers, this exploratory study will test a 5 week web-based intervention to improve outcomes in both the adolescent and the mother.