Deborah Mayer, PhD, RN, AOCN, FAAN
Phone: (919) 843-9467
Specialty Area: Adult Health, Oncology
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Nursing
Carrington Hall, CB #7460
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7460
- 1991 First Quality of Life Lectureship, ONS Fall Institute, Atlanta
- 1992 ONS Distinguished Service Award
- 1993 Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing
- 1998 ONS Excellence in Nursing Informatics Award
- 1998 Debbra Flomenhoft Humanitarian Award, Oncology Section American Physical Therapy Association
- 2006 Outstanding Doctoral Student Award, University of Utah
- Cancer Survivors' Information Seeking and Lifestyle Behaviors (R03 CA136077) PI
- Emergency Department Utilization by Oncology Patients (2KR30903 NC Translational and Clinical Sciences Institute, Travers, PI) Co-Investigator
- Interactive Cancer Communication Directed Physical Activity Enhancement for Colon Cancer Survivors (2P50CA095817, Gustafson, PI) Project Co-Director and Site PI
- HSCT-CHESS to Enhance Hematopoietic Transplant Recovery (R01 CA119196, Parsons, PI)
- Mayer, DK, Ratichek, S, Berhe H, Stewart S, McTavish F, Gustafson D, Parsons, SK. (2009). Development of a health-related website for parents of children receiving hematopoietic stem cell transplant: HSCT-CHESS. J Ca Surv, epub ahead, DOI
- Mayer, DK, Tighiouart, H, Terrin, N. Stewart, S., Peterson, E. Jeruss, S, Parsons, SK. (2009) A Brief Report of Caregiver Needs and Resource Utilization during Pediatric Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. J Ped Onc Nurs, 26(4), 223-229.
- Moss, LS, Starbuck, MF, Mayer, DK, Harwood, EB, Glotzer, J. (2009). Trastuzumab Induced Cardiotoxicity. Oncology Nursing Forum, 36(6): 676-685.
- Campbell, M, Mayer,D, Abernethy A, Carroll S. (2008). Cancer Survivorship. NC Med J, 69(4): 322-324.
- Mayer, D.K. (2008) Guest Editor. "Health Promotion in Cancer Survivors". Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 24(3).
- Parsons, S.K., Saiki-Craighill, S., Mayer, D.K., Sullivan, A.M., Jeruss, S., Terrin, N., Tighiouart, H., Nakagawa, K., Iwata, Y., Hara, J., Grier, H.E., Block, S. (2007) Telling children and adolescents about their cancer diagnosis: cross cultural comparisons between pediatric oncologists in the U.S. and Japan. Psycho-oncology, 16(1): 60-68.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Menon U, Kreps GL, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH. (2007) Screening practices in cancer survivors. Journal of Cancer Survivorship, 1(1): 17-26.
- Mayer DK, Terrin N, Kreps GL, Menon U, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH. (2006) Cancer survivors' information seeking behaviors: a comparison of survivors who do and do not seek information about cancer. Patient Educ Couns, 2007 Mar;65(3):342-50. Epub 2006 Oct 9.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Menon U, Kreps GL, McCance K, Parsons SK, Mooney KH. (2007) Health behaviors in cancer survivors. Oncology Nursing Forum, 2007 May; 34(3): 643-652.
- Parsons SK, Mayer DK. (2004) Health-related quality of life assessment in hematologic disease. Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America Dec; 18(6): 1235-48.
- Morone JF, Mayer DK, Parsons SK (2006) The Transformation Of A Validated Health Related Quality Of Life (HRQL) Instrument Into A Computer Animated Format: The Child Health Ratings Inventories (CHRIs)-Transplant Module. PRO Newsletter Vol 37: 5-8. http://www.mapi-research.fr/t_04_alli.htm
- Mayer DK, Jeruss S, Parsons SK. (2006) Virtual synchronous focus groups. http://www.mednetcongress.org/ fullpapers/MEDNET-19_MayerDeborahKA_e.pdf