Jennifer Leeman, DrPH, MDIV
Phone: (919) 966-3648
Specialty Area: Systems/Policy/Informatics
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Nursing
Carrington Hall, CB #7460
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7460
My research focuses on disseminating and implementing evidence-based interventions to promote healthy behaviors and prevent obesity and other chronic conditions. I also have expertise in mixed-methods approaches to systematic literature reviews.
- Knafl, K., Leeman, J., Crandell, J., Havill, N., & Sandelowski, M. (2014). Delimiting family in syntheses of research on childhood chronic conditions and family life. Family Process, Epub ahead of print
- Leeman, J., Myers, A., Ribisl, K., & Ammerman, A. (2014). Disseminating policy and environmental change interventions: Insights from obesity prevention and tobacco control. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. Epub ahead of print.
- Leeman, J., Jilcott-Pitts, S., & Myers, A. (2014). Speeding the dissemination and implementation of evidence-based interventions for cancer control and prevention. North Carolina Medical Journal, 75, 261-264.
- Leeman, J., Sandelowski, M., Havill, N., & Knafl, K. (in press). Parent-to-child transition in managing cystic fibrosis: a research synthesis. Journal of Family Theory & Review.
- Colquhoun, H., Leeman, J., Michie, S., Lokke, C., Bragge, P., Hemple, S., McKibbon, K.A., …Grimshaw, J. (2014). Towards a common terminology: a simplified model of interventions to promote and integrate evidence into health practices, systems, and policies. Implementation Science, 9, 51. DOI: 10.1186/1748-5908-9-51.
- Ribisl, K., Leeman, J., & Glasser, A. (2014). Pricing health behavior change interventions to promote greater adoption: Lessons from the marketing and business literature. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 46, 653-659.
- Mainor, A., Leeman, J., Sommers, J., Heiser, C., Gonzales, C., Farris, R., & Ammerman, A. (2014). A systematic approach to planning and evaluating public health training: the Obesity Prevention in Public Health Course. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice, 20, 647-653.
- Leeman, J., Teal, R., Jernigan, J., Reed, J., Farris, R., & Ammerman, A. (2014). What evidence and support do practitioners need to address complex public health problems? The case of state level obesity prevention. American Journal of Health Promotion, 28, 189-196.
- Havill, N., Leeman, J., Shaw-Kokot, J., Knafl, K., Crandell, J., & Sandelowski, M. (2014). Managing large-volume literature searches in research synthesis studies. Nursing Outlook, 62, 112-118.
- Leeman, J., Moore, A., Teal, R., Barrett, N., Leighton, A,. & Steckler, A. (2013). Promoting community practitioners’ use of evidence-based approaches to increase breast cancer screening. Journal of Public Health Nursing, 30, 323-331.
- Sandelowski, M., Leeman, J., Knafl, K., & Crandell, J. L. (2013). Text-in-Context: A method for extracting findings in mixed-methods mixed research synthesis studies. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 69,1428-1437.doi: 10.1111/jan.12000.
- Leeman, J., & Sandelowski, M. (2012). Practice-based evidence and qualitative inquiry. Journal of Nursing Scholarship,44(2), 171-179. doi: 10.1111/j.1547-5069.2012.01449.x.
- Leeman, J., Sommers, J., Vu, M., Jernigan, J., Payne, G., Thompson, D…Ammerman, A. (2012). An evaluation framework for obesity prevention policies. Preventing Chronic Disease, 9, E120.
- Sandelowski, M., & Leeman, J. (2012). Writing usable qualitative health research findings. Qualitative Health Research. Qualitative Health Research, 22, 1404-1413.
- Sandelowski, M., Voils, C. I., Leeman, J., & Crandell, J. L. (2012). Mapping the mixed research synthesis terrain. Journal of Mixed Methods Research, 6 (4), 317 - 331.
- Leeman, J., Chang, Y. K., Voils, C., Crandell, J. L., & Sandelowski, M. (2011). A mixed-methods approach to synthesizing evidence on mediators of intervention effects. Western Journal of Nursing Research,33,870-900.
- Leeman, J., Sommers, J., Leung, M., & Ammerman, A. (2011). Disseminating evidence from research and practice: A model for selecting evidence to guide obesity prevention. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 17, 133-140.
- Leeman, J., Chang, Y. K., Lee, E. J., Voils, C., Crandell, J. L., & Sandelowski, M. (2010). Implementation of antiretroviral therapy adherence interventions: a realist synthesis of evidence. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66, 1915-1930.
- Leeman, J., Skelly, A., Burns, D., Carlson, J., & Soward, A. (2008). Tailoring a diabetes self-care intervention for use with older, rural African-American women. Diabetes Educator, 34, 310-317.
- Leeman, J., Baernholdt, M., & Sandelowski, M. (2007). Developing a theory-based taxonomy of methods for implementing change in practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 58, 191-200.
- Havens, D., Wood, S., & Leeman, J. (2006). Improving nursing practice and patient care: Building capacity with Appreciative Inquiry. Journal of Nursing Administration, 36, 463-470.
- Leeman, J., & Mark, B. (2006). The Chronic Care Model versus disease management programs: A transaction cost analysis approach. Health Care Management Review, 31, 18-25.
- Leeman, J., Jackson, B., & Sandelowski, M. (2006). An evaluation of how well research reports support the use of findings in practice. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 38, 171-177.
- Leeman, J. (2006). Interventions to improve diabetes self-management: Utility and relevance for practice. The Diabetes Educator. 32, 571-583.
Principal Investigator – Currently Funded
- Leeman, J. Principal Investigator. Carolina Heart Alliance Networking for Greater Equity (CHANGE). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, (S. Cykert, Co-PI), 2014 - 2019, $1,125,000.
- Leeman, J. Co-Principal Investigator (Weiner, B: PI). Cancer Prevention and Control Research Network and Collaborating Center, CDC/NIH, 2014 – 2019, $3,750,000.
- Leeman, J., Principal Investigator. Developing a tool to assess practitioner capacity to change policies and environments, TraCS (2/2014-1/2015). $50,000.
- Leeman, J., Principal Investigator, Building capacity to disseminate UNC-developed evidence-based interventions to NC’s public health and community-based practitioners, UNC-CH Non-Recurring Overhead Funds (7/1/13 – 6/30/15). $103,000.
Co-Investigator – Currently Funded
- Leeman, J., Co-Investigator. Nurse Education, Practice, Quality, and Retention - Interprofessional Collaborative Practice. (PI: Havens). HRSA (7/2014-6/2017). $1,500,000
- Leeman, J., Co-Investigator. Adolescent AFIX: A multi-state RCT to increase adolescent immunization by facilitating primary care clinics’ implementation of best practices, RWJF (PIs: N. Brewer, M. Gilkey, Co-PI, 2013-2016).
- Leeman, J., Co-Investigator. Mixed methods synthesis of research on childhood chronic conditions and family, National Institute of Nursing Research, NIH (PIs: Knafl, Sandelowski, 9/11 – 6/16). $1,750,000.
- Leeman, J. Co-Investigator, CounterTobacco.org: Disseminating point of sale control resources. CDC, (PI: Ribisl, K., 9/14-9/16). $116,999
- Leeman, J., Faculty. Dissemination & Implementation Methods Unit of the CARES Core of UNC’s Translation & Clinical Science Center. NIH (PI: Buse, 2014-2019)