Mary R. Lynn, PhD
Phone: (919) 966-5450
Specialty Area: Systems/Policy/Informatics
Currently Accepting PhD Students
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Nursing
Carrington Hall, CB #7460
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7460
Mary Lynn began her nursing career at Orange Memorial Hospital (now Orlando Regional Medical Center) School of Nursing in Orlando, Florida, graduating the same year Disneyworld opened. After working as a staff and charge nurse in pediatric intensive care at Orange Memorial Hospital, she attended the University of Florida where she became a Gator fan and earned the BSN and MN degrees from the College of Nursing, and the PhD in Psychometrics and Evaluation from the College of Education. She has served on the faculties of the University of Mississippi and the University of Arizona prior to coming to Chapel Hill in 1991. Her research interests are in the areas of measuring quality of care, the expectations patients have for care, work satisfaction, instrument development and testing, the employment of doctorally-prepared nurses, and the transition of new nurses to the professional role. She completed an NIH/NINR-funded study of outcomes of nursing care in the acute care setting in 1999 and another on the outcomes of care in the home setting (2008). She and Marilyn Oermann completed a RWJF-funded project looking at deans’ and directors’ hiring practices and intentions for doctorally-prepared faculty. Her current work (2016 - 2018) with Cheryl B. Jones, is an NCSBN-funded study of the transition of new nurses in the U.S. She has been to Disneyworld 15 times and is definitely a Tar Heel fan.
Recent Publications (last 10 years)
- Agger, C. A., Lynn, M. R., and Oermann, M. H. (In Press). Mentoring and development resources available to new doctorally-prepared faculty in nursing. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Roszell, S. S., and Lynn, M. R. (In Press). A measure of lean quality improvement for hospital staff nurses. Journal of Nursing Care Quality.
- Oermann, M. H., Lynn, M. R., and Agger, C. A. (2016). Hiring intentions of directors of nursing programs related to DNP- and PhD-prepared faculty and roles of faculty. Journal of Professional Nursing, 32, 173-179.
- Blegen, M.A., Spector, N., Ulrich, B.T., Lynn, M. R., Barnsteiner, J., & Silvestre, J. (2015). Preceptor support in hospital transition to practice programs. Journal of Nursing Administration 12, 642 - 649.
- Oermann, M. H., Lynn, M. R., and Agger, C. A. (2015). Faculty openings, shortage, and mentoring in associate degree nursing programs. Teaching & Learning in Nursing, 10(3), 107 - 111.
- Spector, N., Blegan, M. A., Silvestre, J., Barnsteiner, J., Lynn, M. R., Ulrich, B., & Alexander, M. (2015). New nurses transition to practice in non-hospital settings. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 6(1), 4 – 13.
- Spector, N., Blegan, M. A., Silvestre, J., Barnsteiner, J., Lynn, M. R., Ulrich, B., Fogg, L., & Alexander, M. (2015). Transition to practice in hospital settings, Journal of Nursing Regulation, 5(4), 24-38.
- Morgan, J. C., Oermann, M. H., Pathman, D. E., Lynn, M. R., Konrad, T. R., Farrar, B. D., & Barmon, C. (2014). An Evaluation of State-based Support for Service Programs Targeting Nurse Faculty. Nursing Education Perspectives. 35, 280 – 286. doi: 10.5480/14-1383
- Agger, C., Lynn, M. R., & Oermann, M. H. (2014). Hiring and Incorporating DNP-prepared Nurse Faculty into Academic Nursing Programs. Journal of Nursing Education. 53, 439 – 446.doi: 10.3928/01484834-20140724-03
- Huffman, C. S., Swanson, K., & Lynn, M. R. (2014). Measuring the Meaning of Miscarriage: Revision of the Impact of Miscarriage Scale. Journal of Nursing Measurement. 22(1), 29 – 45.
- Davis, L. L., Mishel, M., Moser, D. K., Esposito, N., Lynn, M. R., & Schwartz, T. (2013). Thoughts and behaviors of women with symptoms of acute coronary syndrome. Heart and Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, 42, 428 - 435.
- Goode, C. J., Lynn, M. R., McElroy, D., Bednash, G. D., & Murray, B. (2013). Lessons Learned From Ten Years of Research on a Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency Program. Journal of Nursing Administration,43(2), 73-79. DOI: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e31827f205c.
- Kao, H. F., Crist, J., & Lynn, M. R., (2013). Testing of applicability of Mutuality Scale with Mexican American caregivers of older adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 32, 226 – 247, DOI: 10.1177/0733464811416813.
- Kao, H. F., Lynn, M. R., & An, K. (2012). Development of the Mexican American Family Loyalty Toward Elderly Relatives Scale. Journal of Theory Construction & Testing 16(2), 38 - 44.
- Zomorodi, M. G., & Lynn, M. R. (2010). Instrument development measuring critical care nurses attitudes and behaviors with end-of-life care. Nursing Research, 59, 234 - 240.
- Stewart, J. L., Lynn, M. R., & Mishel, M. H. (2010). Psychometric evaluation of a new instrument to measure uncertainty in children and adolescents with cancer. Nursing Research, 59, 119 – 126.
- Stewart, J. L., Mishel, M. H., Lynn, M. R., & Terhorst, L. (2010). Test of a conceptual model of uncertainty in children and adolescents with cancer. Research in Nursing and Health, 33, 179 - 191.
- Hamilton, J. B., Crandell, J. L., & Lynn, M. R. (2010). Reliability and validity of the Perspectives of Support from God Scale. Nursing Research, 59, 102 – 109.
- Kao, H. F., Lynn, M. R., & Lujan, J. (2010). Lessons learned in instrument pilot testing with Mexican American caregivers of older adults. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 18(3), 201 – 209.
- Zomorodi, M., & Lynn, M. R. (2009). Critical care nurses’ values and behaviors with end-of-life care. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 12(2), 89 – 96.
- Schilling, L. S., Dixon, J. K., Knafl, K. A., Lynn, M. R., Murphy, K., Dumser, S., & Grey, M. (2009) A new self-report measure of self-management of Type 1 diabetes for adolescents. Nursing Research, 58, 228 – 236.
- Kao, H. F., & Lynn, M. R. (2009). Use of the measurement of medication administration hassles with Mexican American family caregivers. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18, 2596 – 2603.
- Goode, C. J., Lynn, M. R., Krsek, C., Bednash, G. D. (2009). Nurse residency programs: An essential requirement for nursing. Nursing Economics,27(3), 142 – 147, 159.
- Hamilton, J. B., Stewart, B. J., Crandell, J. L., & Lynn, M.R. (2009). Development of the Ways of Helping questionnaire: A coping measure for older African American cancer survivors. Research in Nursing and Health, 32, 243 - 259.
- Lynn, M. R., Morgan, J. C. & Moore, K. A. (2009) Development and testing of the Satisfaction in Nursing Scale (SINS). Nursing Research, 58, 166 – 174.
- Morgan, J. C., & Lynn, M. R. (2009). Satisfaction in nursing in the context of shortage. Journal of Nursing Management, 17, 401 - 410.
- Roszell, S. S., Jones, C. B, & Lynn, M. R. (2009). Call bell requests, call bell response time and patient satisfaction. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 24(1), 69 - 75.
- Olson, D. M., Lynn, M. R., Thoyre, S. M. & Graffagnino, C. (2007). The limited reliability of the Ramsay scale. Neurocritical Care, 7, 227 - 231.
- Liao, Yuan-Mei, Dougherty, M. C., Boyington, A. R., Palmer, M. H., & Lynn, M. R. (2007). The prevalence of lower urinary tract symptoms among female elementary school teachers in Taipei. International Urogynecology Journal of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, 18(10), 1151 – 1161.
- Lynn, M. R., McMillen, B. J., & Sidani, S. (2007). Including the provider in the assessment of quality care: Development and testing of the nurse’s perceptions of quality scale. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 22(4), 328 – 336.
- Schilling, L. S., Dixon, J. K., Lynn, M. R., Ives, B., Knafl, K. A., & Grey, M. (2007). Determining content validity of a self-report instrument for adolescents using a heterogeneous expert panel. Nursing Research, 56(5), 361 – 366.
- Williams, C. A., Goode, C. J., Krsek, C., Bednash, G. D. & Lynn, M. R. (2007) Post-baccalaureate nurse residency one year program outcomes. Journal of Nursing Administration, 37(7/8), 357 – 365. .
- Lynn, M. R., McMillen, B. J., & Sidani, S. (2007). Understanding and measuring patients’ perceptions of quality nursing care. Nursing Research, 56(3), 159 – 166.
- Liao, Yuan-Mei, Dougherty, M. C., Boyington, A. R., Lynn, M. R., & Palmer, M. H. (2006). Developing and validating a Chinese instrument to measure lower
urinary tract symptoms among employed women in Taiwan. Nursing Outlook, 54, 353 – 361.
- Lynn, M. R., Redman, R. W., & Zomorodi, M. G. (2006). The Canaries in the Coalmine Speak: Why Someone Should (and Should Not) Become a Nurse. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 30, 340 - 350.
- Lynn, M. R. (2006). Mentoring the next generation of systems researchers. Journal of Nursing Administration, 36, 288-291.
- Lynn, M. R., & Redman, R. W. (2006). Staff nurses and their solutions to the nursing shortage. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 28(6), 678 – 692.
- Check here for additional references: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Lynn+M+R (not all may be in PubMed)
Funded Research (last 10 years)
- Principal Investigator, Successful Transition of New Graduate Registered Nurses in U.S. Hospitals: Education, Practice and Policy Implications, National Council of State Boards of Nursing, 2016 – 2018, $298,777.
- Co-Investigator, Preparation for the psychometric test of the Pediatric Eating Assessment Tool (Pedi-EAT). Grant support through the Support Pilots for Advancing Research and Knowledge (SPARK) program, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Nursing, 2013-2014, $5,000.
- Co-Investigator, Evaluating the Business Case for Nurse Residency Programs, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Principal Investigator: Cheryl Bland Jones, 2013 – 2016. $300,000.
- Principal Investigator, Hiring Practices and Intentions of Directors of Nursing Programs Related to DNP and PhD-Prepared Faculty, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. July 2012 – July 2014, $286,543
- Co-Investigator: Evaluation of State-based Support-for-Service Programs Targeted at Nurse Faculty. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Principal Investigators: Jennifer Craft Morgan and Marilyn Oermann, 2010 – 2012 (no cost extension 2012 – 2013), $300,000.