Victoria Soltis-Jarrett, PhD, PMHCNS/NP-BC, FAANP
Carol Morde Ross Distinguished Professor
Phone: (919) 843-8587
Specialty Area: Psychiatric/Mental Health
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Nursing
Carrington Hall, CB #7460
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7460
Victoria Soltis-Jarrett, PhD, PMHCNS-BC, PMHNP-BC, FAANP is the Carol Morde Ross Distinguished Professor of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing and is board certified by the ANCC as a Family Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner and Clinical Nurse Specialist. Dr. Soltis-Jarrett has practiced psychiatric nursing for over 30 years, focusing her clinical practice, educational pedagogy and scholarship on rural mental health care, integrating behavioral health into primary, acute and long-term care settings, participatory research and community engagement. She actively practices as a PMHNP at two clinical sites in North Carolina (Winston-Salem & Durham) and provides psychiatric-mental health consultation-liaison with a variety of agencies and organizations.
From 2005-2015, Dr Soltis-Jarrett was the coordinator of the UNC-CH School of Nursing’s Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner option, the only program of its kind in North Carolina. Duringthat time, Dr Soltis-Jarrett was able to successfully guide the PMHNP faculty to transform the graduate specialty curriculum as well as recruit, retain and graduate over 125 new PMHNPs, many of whom are working now in rural and remote counties in NC. Throughout this time, she has been successful in obtaining over 3 million dollars from various funding (Federal, State and Private Foundations) to transform the curriculum, provide ongoing tuition assistance for students and expand community outreach and engagement to improve the health and well being of North Carolina communities and beyond. This is best exemplified in her strong partnerships with organizations, health care leaders and employers who seek out to hire our graduates. She is a Past-President of the International Society for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses (ISPN), Past Chair of the NC Nurses Association Council of PMHN in Advanced Practice and past Chair of the NCNA Commission for Advanced Practice Nursing.
Under her leadership, the program has also been able to meet and maintain a 100% pass rate on the ANCC board certification exam (PMHNP) for graduates of the program. Now as the program is robust and sustainable, Dr Soltis-Jarrett has stepped down as the coordinator and has focused on developing an Axis of Excellence for PMHN Practice, Education and Scholarship for the State of North Carolina in her new role as a Distinguished Professor. This 'Axis' will continue to develop, maintain and build partnerships and collaborative agreements with organizations at the state and national level to place Carolina on the map for excellence in psychiatric-mental health nursing. Her focus is to broaden the availability of PMHN education, practice and scholarship for all nurses in the state with the view to link with other states to strengthen the national recruitment of PMHN for the future.
For more information about the Axis of Excellence, please check back soon for links to a new website!
|2015||Carol Morde Ross Distinguished Chair of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing|
|2014||Fellow of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)|
|2013||ISPN Past-President’s Award (Service to ISPN)|
|2008||North Carolina Nurses Association Nurse of the Year Award (Practice)|
|2007||Graduate Teaching Award: UNC-CH School of Nursing|
|1996-1998||United States National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Nursing Traineeship (Graduate Level)|
- Soltis-Jarrett, V., Boyd, MA. (2012). Somatoform and Related Disorders. In M.A. Boyd, (Ed), Psychiatric nursing contemporary practice, 481-504. Philadelphia: Wolters, Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. & Boyd, MA. (2010). In W. Austin & MA Boyd (Ed), Somatoform and Related Disorders, Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing for Canadian Practice, 2nd Edition, Adapted for Canadian practice. Philadelphia: Wolters, Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2010). Personality Disorders, In J. Rhodes, (Ed), Clinical consult to psychiatric mental health for primary care providers, 193-196. New York: Springer Publishing Company,
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2010). Somatoform Disorders, In J. Rhodes, (Ed), Clinical consult to psychiatric mental health for primary care providers, 137-141. New York: Springer.
Books and Chapters, submitted:
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (submitted 2014, in press). Strategies for Health Promotion in Individuals Experiencing Bipolar Symptoms and Illness, In E. Yearwood and V. Hines-Martin, Handbook of Global Mental Health Nursing: Evidence, Practice and Empowerment, Routledge: London.
- Wortham, D., Horne, C., May, K., Soltis-Jarrett, V., & Williams, S. A. (2012). Creating a Sustainable Role for the Clinical Nurse Specialist: The North Carolina Statewide Practice Survey, Clinical Nurse Specialist, 26 E15-E15.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2012). Mental health reform: the path of least résistance is no longer an option, Issues Ment Health Nursing, 33(10), 639-40.
- Scharf, MR, Soltis-Jarrett, V (2012). Division Calls for Participation in Change, Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 25, (4), 235–236.
- Delaney KR, Soltis-Jarrett V, Horton-Deutsch S. (2011). The international society of psychiatric nursing's involvement with advanced practice RN model work. Archives Psychiatric Nursing, (6), 488-9.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2011). His-story or Her-story: Deconstruction of the concepts of somatization towards a new approach in advanced nursing practice care, Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 2011 Oct;47(4):183-93.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2011). Psych NP-NC: a benchmark graduate nurse practitioner program for meeting the mental health needs in North Carolina, NC Med J. Jul-Aug; 72(4), 293-5.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2004). Interactionality: Willfully extending the boundaries of participatory research in psychiatric-mental health nursing, Advances in Nursing Science, 27(4), 316-329.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1997). The Facilitator in participatory action research: Les raisons d’ etre, Advances in Nursing Science, 20(2), 45-54.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1996). A clinical specialist in mental health nursing, In B. O’Brien (Ed.) Take stars for money: Nursing adventures in private practice. Canberra: The Royal College of Nursing-Australia.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1996). Mental health assessment of individuals with dementia and their careers, In B. Read, RDNS Multidisciplinary Dementia Care Course-A Positive Approach by Distance Education. Adelaide: RDNS.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1995). Characteristics of a good measure: Reliability and validity, In T. Koch (Ed). Issues and methods in nursing research. Flinders University of South Australia: Distance Education Centre.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1995). A psychiatric-mental health clinical specialist in rural South Australia: A consultant to the aged care assessment team, Holistic Nursing Practice, 9(5), 30-36.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (Ed.) (1994). Theoretical approaches to ageing. Flinders University of South Australia: Distance Education Centre.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2012). We Are The Change That We Seek: Moving toward the Affordable Care Act as an APRN in PMHN, Connections Newsletter, International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses, 15 (3), 1-2.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2012). Health Care in 2012: Are you up for the challenge? Connections Newsletter, International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses, 15 (1), 1-2.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2008). NCNA NP Newsletter. Can Nurse Practitioners and Clinical Nurse Specialists in Psychiatric Mental Health take action to be part of the SWIFT CHANGE needed in North Carolina? NCNA NP News, 17 (4) 8-9.
White Paper (Policy):
- The Program on Public Life, Center for the Study of the American South, UNC-Chapel Hill (2007). The State of Mental Health in North Carolina. Carolina Context. (November).
Refereed unpublished oral presentations and/or abstracts
- Soltis-Jarrett, V., Shell, L., Shea, J., Ragaisis, K., & Newton, M. (2015). Integration of Behavioral and Primary Care White Paper, ISPN Annual Conference, Seattle, WA (March 2015).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2014). Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners in North Carolina: Interprofessional Education, Practice and Integration of Care, Connecting Two Worlds: The Journey to Wellness - Integrating Physical and Behavioral Health Care, NC NAMI Annual Conference, Raleigh, NC (October 2014)
- Esposito, N., Falquero, D., Krupnick, S., Purcell, M., Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2014). Equine-Assisted Learning (EAL): An Innovative Experiential Approach to Health Professional Development and PMHNP Education, ISPN Annual Conference, Greenville, SC (March 2014).
- Horton-Deutsch, S., Love, R., Soltis-Jarrett, V., Thomas, D., Umberger, W. (2013). Dancing With the Changes: Advocating for and Transitioning Our Advanced Practice, ISPN Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas (April 2013)
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2012). A Tale of Two Roles: How to Transition an Educational Program from PMH-CNS to PMH-NP, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) 38th Annual Conference in Charleston, South Carolina (April 2012)
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2011). The Psychopharmacology of Fibromyalgia: A Review and Discussion of the Literature. ISPN Fourth Annual Psychopharmacology Conference in Tucson, Arizona (March 2011).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2011). Do You Help Mothers, Too: An Alternative View of Munchausen’s Syndrome by Proxy (MSBP). ISPN 13th Annual Conference in Tucson, Arizona (March 2011).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2010). The Psychopharmacology of Borderline Personality Disorder: Can We Glue the Shattered Mirror Back Together? ISPN Third Annual Psychopharmacology Conference in St Louis, MO (April, 2010).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2010). Gluing Together a Shattered Mirror: The Psychopharmacology of Borderline Personality Disorder, International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses Twelfth Annual Conference in St Louis, MO (April 2010).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2009). Fact or fiction: Understanding Factitious Disorders, the Munchausen's Syndromes and Malingering as Diagnoses, International Society of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses Eleventh Annual Conference in Greenville, South Carolina (April 2009).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2009). The psychopharmacology of somatoform disorders, International Society for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses Second Annual Psychopharmacology Institute in Greenville, South Carolina (April 2009).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. and Hayes, P. (2008). Providing Rural Mental Health Services: An Alternative Educational Approach, Poster session presented at the National AHEC Organization Conference, Denver, Colorado (June 2008).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2008). Management of Somatization: Practical Strategies for the APRN in Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, International Society of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses Tenth Annual Conference in Louisville, Kentucky (April 2008).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2007). His-story or Her-Story: Uncovering the history of Hysteria and the Concept of Somatization, International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses Ninth Annual Conference in Montreal, CANADA (April 2007).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V, Mazzocco, G., and Hayes, P. (2006). Meeting the need for graduate nursing education in a rural area: A collaborative model. Poster session presented at the National AHEC Organization Conference, Omaha, NE (June).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (2006). Assessing and Managing Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms in Women: Providing HOPE, An innovative protocol & treatment program, International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses Eighth Annual Conference, The Science of Creative Practice, Denver, Colorado (April 5-8, 2006).
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1999). Real women don’t complain: One example of adrocentricism in psychiatric-mental health practice, Tenth Annual Critical & Feminist Perspectives in Nursing Conference Proceedings. Williamsburg, VA.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1996). The role of a facilitator in participatory action research, Seventh Annual Critical & Feminist Perspectives in Nursing Conference Proceedings Pgh, PA.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1995). The politics of somatization: Who benefits and why? Sixth Annual Critical & Feminist Perspectives in Nursing Conference Proceedings. Portland, Maine.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1995). Autonomy and excellence in practice: A mental health perspective, Independence and Autonomy. The task of establishing a role for private practice nurses in Australia Conference Proceedings. Adelaide: Nurses in Private Practice, Inc.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1994). Mental health in nursing our ageing communities: Planning now for the future, New Frontiers. Darwin, Northern Territory: Royal College of Nursing-Australia Conference Proceedings.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (March, 2011). Model for Meeting the Mental Health Needs of NC, Workforce Workgroup Meeting, NC Institute of Medicine, Morrisville, NC.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (May, 2010). The history of mental health care: Sumer to the 21st century, (Key Note Speaker) First Annual Psychiatric Nursing Symposium, Psychiatric nurses: Bridging Chasms in Knowledge, Attitude and Practice." Sandilands Rehabilitation Centre, Princess Margaret Hospital, Nassau, Bahamas.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (October, 2009). Mental Health Assessment for School Nurses, Families Schools + Nurses = Partners in Educational Outcomes, 26th Annual School Nurse Conference, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (November, 2008). Nurse Run Clinics in the USA. A comparison with Singapore at the Institute of Mental Health. Invited Lecture, Institute of Mental Health, Singapore.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (November, 2008). Developing interpersonal relationships with patients. Presentation at the Singapore General Hospital, Singapore.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (April, 2008). His-Story or Her-story: The History of Hysteria. Presentation at the Annual Sigma Theta Tau Day at Barton College, Wilson, NC.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V., Beeber, L., Kowlowitz, V., Alexander, R., Raphael-Grimm, T., Piven, M., Moore, K., & Mazzocco, G. (February, 2008). Psych NPs: Meeting the Needs of the Underserved in North Carolina, Health Resources and Services Administration, Bureau of Health Professions (BHPr) All Programs Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (November, 2007). Updates in Psychopharmacology. NCNA Council of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses in Advanced Practice Retreat, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1998). Munchausen’s by Proxy: Do you help mothers too? Staff development continuing education program, Highpoint Family Services, High Point, NC
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1998). Psychosocioculture Assessment. Invited lecturer to undergraduate nursing students. Winston-Salem State University, School of Nursing.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (April, 1996). Aged Care Assessment: Focus on Mental Health, A Multidisciplinary Dementia Care Course- A positive approach by distance education, Royal District Nursing Services Annual Conference, Adelaide, Australia.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (October, 1995). Health promotion in South Australia. Invited presenter to the Nurse Practitioner Program at University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1995). Aged Care Assessment in a rural community. Invited speaker to Riverland, South Australia and Mount Gambier, South Australia workshop on Aged Care Assessment in SA.
- Soltis-Jarrett, V. (1994). Growing through Grief and Loss. Adelaide and Mount Gambier, South Australia communities through Private Palliative Care Annual Conference.
Other products of scholarship
- “Enhancing Adherence: Increasing Competence, Cooperation and Customized Solutions to Schizophrenia Management”, The Annenberg Center, collaborating with International Society of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses. (2013-2014)
- Responsible for the submission of competitive grant proposal, chose and worked with ISPN members and The Annenberg Center to design, develop and deliver this activity, including management of grant funds, all logistics as well as the design and implementation of educational outcomes ($300,000.00). Presented to health care providers nationally.
- Website: http://www.annenberg.net/ce/5133ispn/landing.php?pid=5133ispn
- Behavioral Health Access Plan For the Uninsured (BHAP) Narrative Summary (2014). NC Office of Rural Health and Community Care
- Website: http://www.ncdhhs.gov/orhcc/BHAP_summary_Feb2014.pdf
|Role||Title||Total Direct Amount||Percent Effort||Agency||Dates|
|Principal Investigator||"Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners in North Carolina: Interprofessional Education, Practice, and Integration of Care” (Psych NP-NC: IEPIC)||$1,01,949.00||50% Funded||Health Resources Services Administration (D09HP25939)||2013-2016|
|Principal Investigator||Psychiatric NPs: Meeting the Needs of the UnderservedIn NC||$ 700,000.00||25% Funded||Health Resources Services Administration (D09HP03296)||2010-2014|
|Principal Investigator||Psychiatric mental health nursing consultation and implementation of the Psych NP-NC Program at UNC-CH SON to the Southern, Eastern and Coastal Regions of NC||$ 35,359.00||10% Funded||NC Area Health Education Center||2010-2011|
|Principal Investigator||Off campus Post-Master’s Certificate Program: Continuing the UNC-Chapel Hill MSN Program in PMHN to the Southern, Eastern and Coastal Regions||$ 15,292.00||5%Funded||NC Area Health Education Center||2009-2010|
|Role||Title||Total Direct Amount||Percent Effort||Agency||Dates|
|Principal Investigator||Off Campus Post-Master’s Certificate Program:Advanced Practice Registered Nurse in Psychiatric-mental health nursing(APRN-PMH) Continuing UNC-CH to the Charlotte and Mountain regions with Exploration of the Coastal SEAHEC||$ 37,053.00||10% Funded||NC Area Health Education Center||2008-2009|
|Principal Investigator||Implementing the first year of a Post-MSN Certificate as a Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMH-NP) for Nurse Practitioners in Western North Carolina||$ 49, 000.00||10% Funded||NC Area Health Education Center||2007-2008|
|Principal Investigator||Psychiatric NPs: Meeting the Needs of the UnderservedIn NC||$ 531,000.00||20% Funded||Health Resources Services AdministrationD09HP03296||2007-2010|
|Principal Investigator||Designing and Implementing a Post-MSN Certificate as a Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMH-NP) for Nurse Practitioners in Western North Carolina||$ 10,000.00||10% Funded||NC Area Health Education Center||2006-2007|
|Principal Investigator||Examining the Educational Interests and Needs of Nurse Practitioners in Western North Carolina||$ 5,000.00||10% Funded||NC Area Health Education Center||2005-2006|
|Co-principal Investigator||Nation Action Plan for Dementia Care-Australia.Role of Psychogerontology in aged care assessments
|International dollars||15% Funded||National Action Plan for Dementia Care: Ministry of Health Commonwealth of Australia||1995-1996|
|Co-principal Investigator||National Action Plan for Dementia Care-Australia.Psychogerontology in aged care||International dollars||10% Funded||National Action Plan for Dementia Care: Ministry of Health Commonwealth of Australia||1994-1995|