Sleep, Biological Rhythms, and Neurocognitive Responses
Sleep States and Vital Function
- “Exploratory Analysis of Cerebral Oxygen Reserves During Sleep Onset in Older and Younger Adults.” Carlson et. al, 2008.
- “Respiratory Periodicity and ECG Analysis During Sleep in Older Adults.” Carlson et. al, 2007.
- “Adherence to walking or stretching, and risk of preeclampsia in sedentary pregnant women.” Yeo S, 2009.
- “Evaluation of Heart Rate Variability Indices Using a Real-Time Handheld Remote ECG Monitor.” Singh, S,, Carlson, B.W., and H. Hsiao, 2007.
- “A Randomized Evaluation of Bispectral Index-Augmented Sedation Assessment in Neurological Patients.” Olson, DM, Thoyre SM, Peterson ED, Graffagnino C, 2009.
Perception and Attention
- “Pilot Study of Sensory Information Processing and Motor Processing Relationship to Executive Control in Adults with Primary Brain Tumors.” D. Allen, et. al, 2008. (abstract)
- “Pharmocologic Treatment for Core Deficits and Associated Symptoms of Autism in Children.” Lis, L., Waldrop, J., and S. Brunssen, 2009.
- “Delirium Resolution in Hospitalized Older Patients with Cancer.” Bond, S., and V. Neelon, 2008.
- “Diffuse white matter injury and neurologic outcomes of infants born very preterm in the 1990s.” Brunssen SH, Harry GJ, 2007.
Stress, Pain, and Immunity
- “Long-term exercise training selectively alters serum cytokines involved in Fever.” Rowsey PJ, Metzger BL, Carlson, J, Gordon CJ, 2009.
- “Allostasis and allostatic load: expanding the discourse on stress and cardiovascular disease.” Logan, J. and D. Barksdale, 2008.
- “Testing the Theory of Self-care Mangement for sickle cell disease.” Jenerette CM, Murdaugh C, 2008.
Vulnerability Markers and Chronic Illness
- “Uncertainty, Symptoms, and Quality of Life in Persons With Chronic Hepatitis C.” Bailey, et. al., 2009.
- “Preterm infants’ Behavioural indicators of oxygen decline during bottle feeding.” Thoyre, S., and J. Carlson, 2003.
- “Breast Cancer Risk Perception and Lifestyle Behaviors Among White and Black Women With a Family History of the Disease.” D. Spector, et. al., 2009.
Cardiovascular Fitness, Nutrition and Metabolism Across the Life-span
Oxygen, Metabolism and Temperature
- “Effects of chronic exercise conditioning on thermal responses to lipopolysaccharide and turpentine abscess in female rats.” Rowsey PJ, Metzger BL, Carlson J, Gordon CJ, 2005.
- “The association between insulin resistance and cytokines in adolescents: the role of weight status and exercise.” Rubin DA, McMurray RG, Harrell JS, Hackney AC, Thorpe DE, Haqq AM, 2008.
- “Continuous oxygen use in nonhypoxemic emphysema patients identifies a high-risk subset of patients: retrospective analysis of the National Emphysema Treatment Trial.” Rubin DA, McMurray RG, Harrell JS, Hackney AC, Thorpe DE, Haqq AM, 2008.
- ” Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among a racially/ethnically diverse group of U.S. eighth-grade adolescents and associations with fasting insulin and homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance levels.”Studies to Treat or Prevent Pediatric Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Study Group , 2008.
Cardiovascular Risk and Obesity
- “Depression and Coping in Heart Failure Patients.” Allman, E., Berry D., and L. Nasir, 2009..
- “An intervention for multiethnic obese parents and overweight children.” Berry, D., M. Savoye, G. Melkus, and M. Grey, 2008.
- “Changing our future: obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents.” Harrell, J., A. Jessup, and N. Greene, 2006.
Fitness, Exercise and Community Screening
- “Risk factors for type 2 diabetes in a 6th grade multi-racial cohort: the HEALTHY study.” The HEALTHY Study Group, 2009.
- “Validity of the Nursing Child Assessment Feeding Scale During Toddlerhood.” Hodges, EA., Houch GM, and T. Kindermann, 2009.
- “Middle-School Children’s Understanding of Physical Activity: “If You’re Moving, You’re Doing Physical Activity.” Pearce, P., Harrell, J., and R. McMurray, 2008.
Functional Markers of Disability in Older Adults
- “Pressure ulcers in elderly patients with hip fracture across the continuum of care.” Palmer, et. al., 2009.
- “Urinary Incontinence and Overactive Bladder in Patients with Heart Failure.” Palmer MH, Hardin SR, Behrend C, Collins K, Madigan CK, Carlson J, 2009.
Bioelectrical Impedance and Body Composition
- “Insulin and Weight Status in Adolescents: Independent Effects of Intensity of Physical Activity and Peak Aerobic Power.” Rubin, D., McMurray, R., and J. Harrell, 2008.
- “The relationship between body mass index/body composition and survival in patients with heart failure.” Shirley S, Davis LL, Carlson BW, 2008.