What Is the Goal of Diversity at Carolina Nursing?
The goal of diversity at the UNC School of Nursing is not to count people but for everyone to benefit from the best mix of people. The goal also is to attract people with an array of backgrounds, experiences, talents and perspectives, and then empower them to give everything they have to a given situation.
What Are the Different Dimensions of Diversity?
Human Diversity + –
Characterized by virtue of the physicality or life experience of an individual. These include:
- Physical/Mental Capabilities
- Marital/Family Status
- Sexual Orientation
- Military Experience
Cultural Diversity + –
Characterized by fundamental beliefs, attitudes, assumptions, values, and personal characteristics. These include:
- Learning Style
- Historical Differences
- Cross-Cultural Relationship/Communication
- Family-Friendly Practices
Systems Diversity + –
Characterized by the integration of organizational structures and management operating systems where differences are involved or implicit. These include:
- Strategic Alliances
- Corporate Acquisitions
Source: Gillory, W. A. (2001). The business of diversity: The case for action. (6th ed., pp. 10-11). Salt Lake City, UT:Innovations International, Inc.
What Kinds of Assistance Does OIE Provide?
The Office of Inclusive Excellence advises and gives professional guidance primarily to students from underrepresented groups at all levels and serves as a liaison to academic departments and student services. Assistance may be provided regarding:
- Academic progressions and concerns
- Students’ socialization into the academic sub-culture
- Academic support and referral for related services
- Curriculum advisory services
What Percentage of the School of Nursing Population Is Of Color?
People of color comprise:
- 29.5% of undergraduate students
- 47% of graduate students
- 15% of the faculty
- 31% of the staff
What Percentage of the SON Population Is Male?
- 14% of undergraduate students
- 10% of graduate students
- 9% of the faculty
- 20% of the staff
How Is Diversity Represented in the Nursing Workforce Within the State of North Carolina?
Diversity in North Carolina:
- 11.9% of the RN workforce comes from underrepresented groups
- 6.3% of nurses are male
- African Americans represent 21.6% of the state’s population and 8% of the nursing workforce
- Hispanics are 4.7% of the state’s population and .06% of the nursing workforce
- The Hispanic population in North Carolina over the last decade has had the largest rate of growth (393%) of any state in the nation
For general phone inquiries, call 919.843.2478.
To send a facsimile, dial 919.966.1280.