- The School of Nursing offers a rich and diverse environment for interdisciplinary and clinical research. The School is an integral part of UNC’s unique health affairs campus, which boasts top-ranked schools of pharmacy, public health, medicine, nursing and dentistry just steps from each other and from UNC Hospital. The hospital has received Magnet designation for excellence in nursing services from the American Nurses Credential Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program.
- The School and its faculty maintain partnerships with leading health care and community organizations across the state and nation. They also participate in many of the more than 121 interdisciplinary research centers, institutes and initiatives at UNC. Read more about UNC research at research.unc.edu.
- The School has close ties with the Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research (Sheps Center), which seeks to improve the health of individuals, families, and populations by understanding the problems, issues and alternatives in the design and delivery of health care services. The center’s interdisciplinary program of research, consultation, technical assistance and training focuses on timely and policy-relevant questions concerning the accessibility, adequacy, organization, cost and effectiveness of health care services and the dissemination of this information to policy makers and the general public.
- The School has its own Biobehavioral Laboratory (BBL), which houses an epigenetics lab and a behavioral observation suite. The BBL also supports on-site sleep research as well as measurement of electrical brain activity, cardiac output, oxygenation, body composition and heart rate responses.
- The School offers Hillman Scholars a sterling group of faculty mentors, including Anna Beeber, Linda Beeber, Diane Berry, Ashley Bryant, Cheryl Giscombe, Cheryl Jones, Shawn Kneipp, Jennifer Leeman, Barbara Mark, Sheila Santacroce, Hudson Santos and Sue Thoyre.
- The School offers Hillman Scholars a sterling group of faculty mentors, including Anna Beeber, Linda Beeber, Diane Berry, Jada Brooks, Ashley Bryant, Yamnia Cortes, Cheryl Giscombe, Eric Hodges, Cheryl Jones, Shawn Kneipp, Jennifer Leeman, Deborah Mayer, Sheila Santacroce, Hudson Santos, and Sue Thoyre. Additionally, scholars have selected secondary mentors outside the School of Nursing, including Barbara Frederickson from the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, John Gilmore from UNC School of Medicine, Pam McQuide from IntraHealth, and Whitney Robinson from UNC Gillings School of Public Health
- UNC is located in North Carolina’s triangle region, home to major universities and leading technology, research and pharmaceutical companies. UNC is only 13 miles from Research Triangle Park, the largest research park in the United States.
“I am constantly amazed by the opportunities we have, even as undergrads, to network with leaders in the health care arena.”
– Sallie Allgood, Hillman Scholar