Lixin Song, RN, PhD, FAAN
Associate Professor and Beerstecher-Blackwell Distinguished Term Scholar
Adult Health, Family, Research
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Nursing
Carrington Hall, CB #7460
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7460
Dr. Song received her Ph.D. from the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor and completed a postdoctoral training in chronic illness management at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill School of Nursing. Dr. Song’s research crosscuts a range of areas in cancer survivorship, mHealth intervention, post-treatment care transition, symptom management, patient-reported outcomes, stress and coping, health disparities, as well as communication and interaction among cancer survivors, family caregiver, and health care providers.
(*data-based; †publication with student; ‡senior author)
- *Song, L. Tan, X,Bredle, J., Bennett, A.V., Northouse, L. (2020). Psychometric Properties of the FACT-G Quality of Life Scale for Family Caregivers of Cancer Patients. Quality of Life Research. DOI: 10.1007/s11136-020-02477-7
- *†‡Guan, T., Chen, D.G., Santacroce, S.J., & Song, L. (2020). Illness Uncertainty, Coping and Quality of Life among Patients with Prostate Cancer. doi: 10.1002/pon.5372.
(Song: Corresponding author)
- *†‡Liu, C.C., Yu, F., & Song, L., (2020). A Systematic Investigation on the Research Publications that Used the Medical Expenditure Panel survey (MEPS) Data through a Bibliometrics Approach. Library Hi Tech. ISSN: 0737-8831
- *†‡Xing, Z.P., Yu, F., Du, J., Walker, J., Paulson, C., Mani, N., & Song, L. (2019) Conversational Interfaces for Health – A Bibliometric analysis of Grants, Publications, and Patents. Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR). 21(11). DOI: 10.2196/14672. PMID: 31738171. PMCID: 6887814
- Von Ah, D., Brown, C., Brown, J., Davies, M., Dodd, M., Ferrell, B., Hammer, M., Knoop, T., Knobf, T., Leak-Bryant, A., LoBiondo-Wood, G., Mayer, D.K., Miaskowski, C., Mitchell, S., Song, L., Bruner, D. W., Wesmiller, S., & Cooley, M.E., (2019). Research Agenda for the Oncology Nursing Society: 2019-2022. Oncology Nursing Forum. 46(6):651-653. doi: 10.1188/19.ONF.651-653.
- *†‡Xing, Z, Yu, F., Qanir, Y., Guan, T., Walker, J., & Song, L. (2019). Intelligent Conversational Agents in Patient Self-management: A Systematic Survey Using Multi Data Sources. Stud Health Technol Inform, 264:1813-1814. doi: 10.3233/SHTI190661.
- *Song, L., Guan, T., Guo, P.R., Keyserling, T., Van Houtven, C., & Tan, X.M. Prevalence of Cardiovascular Disease and Risk Factors, Quality of Life, and Health Behaviors Of Cancer Survivors And Their Spouses: Findings from MEPS (2019). Journal of Cancer Survivorship. DOI: 10.1007/s11764-019-00792-8
- *†Erim, D.O, Bensen, J.T., Mohler, J.L., Fontham, E.T., Song, L., Farnan, L., Delacroix, S. E. Peters, E.S. Erim, E.N., Chen, R., Gaynes, B. B. (2019). Patterns and Predictors of Self-reported Clinical Diagnosis and Treatment of Depression in Prostate Cancer Survivors. Cancer Medicine. 8(8):3648-3658. doi: 10.1002/cam4.2239.
- *Bryant, A.L., Coffman, E., Phillips, B., Tan, X., Bullard, E., Hirschey, R., Bradley, J., Bennett, A.V., Stover, A.M., Song, L., Shea, T. C., & Wood, W.A. (2019). Pilot Randomized Trial of an Electronic Symptom Monitoring and Reporting Intervention for Hospitalized Adults Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Supportive Care in Cancer. 28(3):1223-1231. doi: 10.1007/s00520-019-04932-9
- *†‡ Qanir, & Song, L. (2019). Systematic Review of Technology-Based Interventions to Improve Anxiety, Depression And Health Related Quality Of Life Among Patients With Prostate Cancer. Psychooncology, 28(8):1601-1613. DOI: 10.1002/pon.5158
- *†Erim, D.O, Bensen, J.T., Mohler, J.L., Fontham, E.T., Song, L., Farnan, L., Delacroix, S. E. Peters, E.S. Erim, E.N., Chen, R., Gaynes, B. B. (2019). Prevalence and Predictors of Probable Depression in Prostate Cancer Survivors. Cancer, DOI: 10.1002/cncr.32338
- *†‡Qan’ir, Y., DeDeaux, D., Godley, P.A., Mayer, D. & Song, L. (2019). An Integrative Review of Management of Androgen Deprivation Therapy-Associated Hot Flashes in Men with Prostate Cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum, DOI: 10.1188/19.ONF.E107-E118
- *Steck, S., Bensen, J. T., Hussey, J., Fontham, E., Merchant, A., Schneider, L., Mohler, J., Farnan, L., Song, L., Su, J., Arab, L. (2018). Dietary Patterns Based on the Mediterranean Diet and DASH Diet are Inversely Associated with High Aggressive Prostate Cancer in PCaP. Annals of Epidemiology, DOI:10.1016/j.annepidem.20
- *Allott, E.H., Farnan, L., Steck, S. E., Song, L, Arab, L., Su, L.J., Fontham, E., Mohler, J., Bensen, J. (2018). Statin use, high cholesterol and prostate cancer progression; results from HCaP-NC. Prostate, 78(11):857-864. doi: 10.1002/pros.23644.
- *Song, L., Dunlap. K., Mayer, D.K., Tan, X.M., Chen, R., Nielsen, M.E., Asafu-Adjeir, J., Koontz, B., Birken, S., & Northouse, L. (2018). Enhancing Survivorship Care Planning for Patients with Localized Prostate Cancer Using A Couple-Focused mHealth Tailored Symptom Self-Management Program. Journal of Medical Internet Research Res Protoc, 26;7(2):e51. doi: 10.2196/resprot.9118.
- *†Chen, H.C., Song, L., Chang, H.C., Hsu, M.T. (2018).Factors related to tracheostomy timing and ventilator weaning: Findings from a population in Northern Taiwan. Clinical Respiratory Journal, 12(1), 97-104 DOI:10.1111/crj.12492.
- *Song, L., Tatum, K., Greene, G., & Chen, R. (2017). eHealth Literacy And Partner Involvement In Treatment Decision-Making For Newly Diagnosed Localized Prostate Cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum. 44(2):225-233. doi: 10.1011/17.ONF.225-233.
(Selected as a featured Journal Club Article)
- *Song, L., Tyler, C., Clayton, M., Rodgiriguez-Rassi, E., Hill, L., Bai, J.B., Pruthi, R., & Bailey Jr., D.E. (2017). Patient and Family Communication During Consultation Visits: The Effects of A Decision Aid for Treatment Decision-Making for Localized Prostate Cancer. Patient Education and Counseling. 100 (2): 267–275 doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2016.09.012.
- *Holmes, J.A. Bensen, J.T., Mohler, J.L., Song, L., Mishel, M., & Chen, R.C., (2017). Quality of Care Received and Patient-Reported Regret in Prostate Cancer, Analysis of a Population-Based Prospective Cohort. Cancer, 1;123(1):138-143. doi: 10.1002/cncr.30315
- *Song, L., Rini, C., Ellis, K., & Northouse, L.L. (2016). Appraisals, perceived dyadic communication, and quality of life over time among couples coping with prostate cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer, 24(9):3757-65. doi: 10.1007/s00520-016-3188-0.
- *Song, L., Toles, M.P., Bai, J.B., Nielsen, M., Bailey, D., Sleath, B., & Mark, B. (2015). Patient Participation In Communication about Treatment Decision-Making for Localized Prostate Cancer During Consultation Visits. Health, 7:1419-1429.
- *†‡Symes, Y., Song, L., Heineman, R. G., Barbosa, B.D., Tatum, K., Greene, G., Weaver, M., & Chen, R.C., (2015). Involvement in decision-making and satisfaction with treatment among partners of patients with newly diagnosed localized prostate cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum, 42(6): 672-679.
2019-2023 INT: AURA – Connecting Audio and Radio Sensing Systems to Improve Care at Home. NLM(1R01LM013329, an NSF/NIH Connected Health grant). Role: Multiple PI (Contact: Nirjon)
2019-2020 Feasibility Testing of Patient Reported Outcomes-informed Caregiving Education and Symptom management System (PROCESS). Alliance NCORP Research Base grant (2UG1CA189823) Alliance Cancer Care Delivery Research Network Pilot Award. Role: PI
2017-2022 Efficacy of a Couple-focused, Tailored Symptom Self-management mHealth Intervention for Prostate Cancer Patients and Partners. NINR (1R01NR016990). Role: PI.
2016-2018 Using SCP to tailor and deliver a prostate cancer symptom management program. NCI (1 R21 CA212516-01). Role: PI
2014-2015 Tailored Web-Based Prostate Cancer Education for Patients and Partners. UNC CPC Intervention Research Pilot Proposal Grant Award. Role: PI
2013-2015 National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences UNC Clinical and Translational Science Award. KL2TR00110 (PI: Runge). Role: Scholar
2013-2014 Development of a Couple-focused eHealth Intervention for Prostate Cancer-Related Symptom Management. UNC Population Sciences Developmental Research Award. Role: PI
2011-2014 Partner Involvement In Treatment Decision Making & Symptom Management For Localized Prostate Cancer. UNC New Faculty Start-up Fund. Role: PI
2013 Quality of Life and Health Economic Outcomes among Patients with Prostate Cancer and Family Caregivers. UNC Junior Faculty Development Award. Role: PI
2012–2013 Clinic-Based Intervention to Increase Physical Activity among Gynecologic Oncology Patients: A Pilot Study. NCCH Endowment Fund (PI: Yeo). Role: Co-I
2011-2012 Telemedicine Delivery of a Cancer Support Training Intervention: Partnership with Community-Based Survivorship Centers. University Cancer Research Fund (PI: Rosenstein). Role: Co-I
2008-2009 Couples’ Communication and Quality of Life during Prostate Cancer Survivorship. F31NR010990. Role: PI.
- Cancer survivorship and family caregiving
- Interventions studies to improve outcomes in cancer patients and family members
- Communication among patient, family members, and health care providers
- Health decision-making
- Health disparities
- Innovative research methodology