An international scholar, Marianne Baernholdt, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN, has dedicated her career to teaching and mentoring students and junior faculty in leadership, quality, and safety. She is an experienced primary investigator and co-investigator on several federal grants, and her research focuses on how quality of care is defined and factors affecting quality of care in global rural areas across the healthcare continuum.
Before joining Carolina Nursing as the Associate Dean for Global Initiatives, she served as the Nursing Alumni Endowed Professor at the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) School of Nursing. During her time at VCU she was also the founding director of the Langston Center for Quality, Safety, and Innovation — a resource dedicated to providing the health community with education, activities, and resources that foster collaborative, patient-centered, cost-effective health care. Dr. Baernholdt was the Director for Global Initiatives at the University of Virginia School of Nursing before her time at VCU.
- Diploma Bispebjerg School of Nursing, Denmark
- BSN Pace University, New York, NY
- MPH Columbia University, New York, NY
- MSN Columbia University, New York, NY
- PhD University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Postdoc University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Baernholdt, M. & Boyle, D. K. (2021). Nurses Contributions to Quality Health Outcomes. Springer International Publishing. DOI 10.1007/978-3-030-69063-2.
Baernholdt, M. & Bryant, A. L. (In press). Implementing the Plan. In Patton, R.M., Zalon, M.L., & Ludwick, R. (Eds) Nurses Making Policy. From Bedside to Boardroom.,3rd edition, Springer Publishing and American Nurses Associations.The royalty from this book supports a nurse internship in the White House.
Baernholdt, M. & Shellian, B. (2019). Global rural nursing practice. In Friberg, E.E. & Creasia, J.L. (Eds). Conceptual Foundations. The Bridge to Professional Nursing Practice, 7th edition. Elsevier, St. Louis, Missouri (peer reviewed), 290-305.
Hogh, A., Clausen, T., Bickmann, L., Hansen, A., Conway, P, & Baernholdt, M. (2019). Consequences of Workplace Bullying for Individuals, Organizations and Society. In D’Cruz P. et al. (Eds) Pathways of Job-related Negative Behaviour. Handbooks of Workplace Bullying, Emotional Abuse and Harassment, vol 2. Springer, Singapore (peer reviewed), 1-24.
Baernholdt M. (2017). Rural Health. In J. Fitzpatrick & M. W. Kazer (Eds). Encyclopedia of Nursing Research. 4th ed. Springer Publishing Company: NYC.
Baernholdt, M., Schexnayder, J. & Winston, M. (2016). Global rural nursing practice. In Friberg, E.E. & Creasia, J.L. (Eds). Conceptual Foundations. The Bridge to Professional Nursing Practice, 6th edition. Elsevier, St. Louis, Missouri (peer reviewed), 305-320.
Baernholdt M. (2012). Rural Health. In J. Fitzpatrick & M. W. Kazer (Eds). Encyclopedia of Nursing Research. 3rd ed. Springer Publishing Company: NYC, 454-457.
Baernholdt, M., Reid, K., & Denison, P (2009). Chapter 9. Building and adapting current graduate programs into Clinical Nurse Leader. In J. Fitzpatrick & M. Wallace (Eds). The Doctorate of Nursing Practice & Clinical Nurse Leader: Essentials of Program Development & Implementation into Clinical Practice. Springer Publishing Company, NYC, 119-136.
Articles Published in Professional Journals (starting with most recent)
(*data-based; †publication with student)
- Baernholdt, M., Jones, T. L. Anusiewicz, C. V., Campbell, C. M., Montgomery, A., & Patrician, P. A. (2021). Development and testing of the quality improvement self-efficacy inventory. Western Journal of Nursing,*†
- Beale, N., Carroll, W., Aldrich, K., Alexander, S., Baernholdt, M., & Fields, W. (2021). The Fingerprint of Nursing: What a Unique Nurse Identifier Means for our Future. The American Nurse, Sep 15.
- Paulus, A., Baernholdt, M., Kear, T., Jones, T., & Thacker, L. (2021). Factors Associated with Hospital Readmissions Among U.S. Dialysis Facilities. Journal for Healthcare Quality *†
- Montgomery, A. A., Azuero, A. A., Baernholdt, M., Loan, L. A., Miltner, R. S., Qu, H. A., Raju, D., & Patrician, P. (2020). Nurse burnout predicts self-reported medication administration errors in acute care hospitals. Journal for Healthcare Quality, Epub ahead of print June 25th, 2020 doi: 10.1097/JHQ.0000000000000274 *†
- Beaird, G., Baernholdt, M, Byon, H. D. & White, K. R. (2020). Interprofessional Rounding Design Features and Associations with Collaboration and Team Effectiveness. Journal of Interprofessional Care, https://doi.org/10.1080/13561820.2020.1768058 *†
- Campbell, C. M., Prapanjaroensin, A., Anusiewicz, C. V., Baernholdt, M., Jones, T., & Patrician, P. (2020). Variables Associated with Missed Nursing Care in Alabama: A Cross-Sectional Analysis. Journal of Nursing Management, Feb 18. *†
- Beaird, G., Baernholdt, M, & White, K. R. (2020). Perceptions of interdisciplinary rounding practices. Journal of Clinical Nursing, Apr. 29(7-8) https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.15161*†
- Baernholdt, M., Yan, G., Hinton, I. D., Cramer, E., Dunton, N. (2020). Effect of preventive care interventions on pressure ulcer rates in a national sample of rural and urban nursing units: Longitudinal associations over 4 years. International Journal of Nursing Studies. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2019.103455*
- Dow, W. A., Baernholdt, M., Santen, A. S., Baker, K., & Sessler, C. N. (2019). Practitioner Wellbeing as an Interprofessional Outcome. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 33(6), 603-607. https://doi.org/10.1080/13561820.2019.1673705
- Davis-Ajami, M. L., Pakyz, A., Wu, J., Baernholdt, M. (2019). A payer perspective of the costs of urinary tract and skin and soft tissue infections in adults with Diabetes and the relationship to oral antidiabetic nonadherence. Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacology. https://doi.org/10.18553/jmcp.2019.19052 *
- Baernholdt, M. (2019). Using a legacy map to support clinical nurses returning to graduate school. Nursing Management,50(7), 51-53.
- Sensmeier, J., Androwich, I., Baernholdt, M., Carroll, W., Fields, W., Fong, V., Murphy, J., Omery, A. & Rajwany, N. (Summer 2019). The value of nursing care through use of a unique nurse identifier. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI), 23(2). Available at https://www.himss.org/resources/demonstrating-value-nursing-care-through-use- unique-nurse-identifier
- Davis-Ajami, M. L., Fink, J. C., Baernholdt, M., Wu, J., (June 19, 2019, Epub ahead of print).Adverse event characteristics and predictive factors in hospital encounters for patients with chronic kidney disease. American Journal of Nephrology*
- Quatrara, B., Brashers, V., Baernholdt, M., Novicoff, W., & Kennedy, C. (2019) Enhancing interprofessional education through patient safety and quality improvement team-training: A pre-post evaluation. Nurse Education Today,79, 105-110*
- Smith, S., Elias, B. & Baernholdt, M. (2019). The role of interdisciplinary faculty in nursing education: a national survey. Journal of Professional Nursing, 35(5), 393-397*
- Jones, T. L., Yoder, L. H., & Baernholdt, M. (2019). Variation in Academic Preparation and Progression of Nurses across the Continuum of Care. Nursing Outlook, 67(4), 381-392*
- Baernholdt, M., Feldman, M., Davis-Ajami, M. L., Harvey, D., Mazmanian, P., Mobley, D., Murphy, J., Watts, C., & Dow, A. (2019). An interprofessional quality improvement
training program that improves educational and quality outcomes. The American Journal of Medical Quality, 34(6), 577-584 https://doi.org/10.1177/1062860618825306*
- Mattos, M.K., Burke, L.E., Baernholdt, M., Hu, L., Nilsen, M.L., & Lingler, J.H. (2019). Perceived Social Determinants of Health among Older, Rural-Dwelling Adults with Early-Stage Cognitive Impairment. Dementia:The International Journal of Social Research and Practice, 18(3), 920-935*†
- Høgh, A., Baernholdt, M, & Clausen T. (2018). Impact of workplace bullying on missed nursing care and quality of care in the eldercare Sector. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, 91(8), 963-970*
- Clement, J., Khushalani, J. & Baernholdt, M. (2018). Urban-rural differences in Skilled Nursing Facility rehospitalization rates. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 19(10), 902-906*
- Baernholdt, M., Hinton, I., Yan, G., Xin, W., Cramer, E., & Dunton, N. (2018). Fall rates in urban and rural nursing units. Does Location matter? Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 33(4), 326-333*
- Bachnick, S. Ausserhofer, D., Baernholdt, M, & Simon, M. (2018). Patient-centered care, nurse work environment and implicit rationing of nursing care in Swiss acute care hospitals: a cross-sectional multi-center study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 81, 98-106*†
- Baernholdt, M., Dunton, N, Hughes, R. G., Stones, P. W, & White K. W. (2018). Quality Measures – A Stakeholder Analysis. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 33(2):149-156*
- Bailey, C; Orr, S., Hewison, A. & Baernholdt, M. (2017). Learning About End-of-Life Care in Nursing – A Global Classroom Educational Innovation. Journal of Nursing Education, 26(11), 688-691*
- Baernholdt, M., Hinton, I.D., Yan, G., Xin, W., Cramer, E., & Dunton, N. (2017). A National Comparison of Rural/Urban Pressure Ulcer and Fall Rates. Online Journal of Issues inNursing, 22(2).
- Crego, N., Baernholdt, M. & Merwin, E. (2017). Differences in Pediatric Non-Interventional Radiology Procedural Sedation Practices and Adverse Events by Registered Nurse and Physicians. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 35, 129-133*†
- Cross, S. & Baernholdt, M. (2017). Identifying Factors for Worker Motivation in Zambia’s Rural Health Facilities. The Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 28,63-70*†
- Campbell, C, & Baernholdt, M (2016). Community health workers’ palliative care learning needs and training. Results from a partnership between a US university and a rural community organization in Mpumalanga province, South Africa. The Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 27, 440-449*
- Renda, S., Baernholdt, M., & Becker, K. (2016). An evaluation of a worksite diabetes education program for employees with Diabetes at a large urban medical center. Workplace Health & Safety, 64(1), 17-23*†
- Cary, M., Baernholdt, M., & Merwin, E (2016). Changes in Payment Regulation and Acute Care Use for Total Hip Replacement: Trends in Length of Stay, Costs, and Discharge, 1997-2012. Rehabilitation Nursing Journal, 41, 67-77*†
- Cary, M., Baernholdt, M., Anderson, R. & Merwin, E. (2015). Performance-based Outcomes of Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities Treating Hip Fracture Patients in the United States. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 96 (5), 790-798*†
- Mainz, H, Baernholdt, M., Ramlau-Hansen, C. H., & Brink, O. (2015). Comparison and Validation of the Nurse Practice Environment in Denmark and the US. International
Nursing Review, 62(4), 479-488*†
- Baernholdt, M., Campbell, C., Hinton, I. D., Yan, G., & Lewis E (2015). Quality of Hospice Care: A comparison between rural and urban residents. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 30(3), 247-253*
- Lewis, E. Baernholdt, M., Yan, G. & Guterbock, T.G. (2015). Relationship of adverse events and support to RN burnout. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 30(2), 144-152*†
- Baernholdt, M., Malpass, J., Hinton, I.D., Yan, G, & Bratt, M. (2014). A comparison of quality of care in critical access hospitals and other small rural hospitals. Online Journal of RuralNursing and Health Care, 14(2), 3-31*
- Parcells, C. & Baernholdt, M. (2014). Developing a global curriculum in a School of Nursing. Journal of Nursing Education, 53(12):692-695.
- Campbell, C. L., Baernholdt, M., Dillingham, R, & Plews-Ogan, J. (2014). A tripartite interprofessional collaboration in Limpopo province: Community health worker training in diabetes and hypertension. Annals of Global Health. 80(3), 236*
- Bratt, M. M., Baernholdt, M., & Pruszynski, J.E. (2014). Are rural and urban newly licensed nurses different? Results from a nurse residency program. Journal of Nursing
Management, 22(6), 779-791*
- Baernholdt, M, Jennings, B. & Lewis, E. (2013). A Pilot Study of Staff Nurses’ Perceptions of Factors that Influence Quality of Care in Critical Access Hospitals. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 28(4), 352-359*
- Baernholdt, M, Drake, E., Maron, F., & Neymark, K. (2013). Fostering internalization: an American-Danish semester-long undergraduate nursing student exchange program.
International Nursing Review, 60(2), 221-227
- Epstein, E.G., Rovnyak, V., Miles, A. & Baernholdt, M. (2013). Parents’ perceptions of continuity of care in the NICU: Preliminary testing of an instrument and implications for the nurse-parent relationship. Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, 27(2), 168-175*
- Campbell, C.L., Baernholdt, M, Yan, G., Hinton, I., & Lewis, E. (2013). Racial/ethnic perspectives on the quality of hospice care. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 30(4), 347-353*
- Rigney, D. & Baernholdt, M. (2013). Using problem solving for better health nursing (PSBH) in a clinical nurse leader program, Journal of Professional Nursing, 29, e10–e13
- Struwe, J. H., Baernholdt, M., Nørholm, V. & Lind, J. (2013) Organization of nursing: an important factor for continuity of care for stroke patients. Journal of Nursing
Management, 21(1), 141-152*
- Keim-Malpass, J., Baernholdt, M., Erickson, J. M., Ropka, M. E., Schroen, A. T., Steeves, R.H. (2013). Blogging through cancer: Young women’s persistent problems shared online. Cancer Nursing. 36 (2), 163-172*†
- Lewis, E. J., Baernholdt, M., & Hamric, A. B. (2013). Nurses’ experience of medical error, an integrative literature review. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 28(2), 153-161†
- Schur, C., Cheung, K, Radford, A., Slifkin, R., & Baernholdt, M. (2007). 340B drug pricing program results of a survey of participating rural hospitals. Report to the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy. [D]
- Radford, A., Slifkin, R., Baernholdt, M., Schur, C., & Cheung, K. (2007). 340B drug pricing program results of a survey of eligible but non-participating rural hospitals. Report to the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy. [D]
Selected International and National Presentations (peer-reviewed unless noted as invited)
- November 2021 Baernholdt, M., Montgomery, A.P., Jones, T., Campbell, C.M., Anusiewicz, & Patrician, P. Using a Quality Improvement Self-Efficacy Inventory (QISEI) to assess nurses knowledge and skills in improving patient safety and quality of care. International Council of Nurses Congress. Nursing Around the World, 2021 (virtual)
- June 2021 Baernholdt, M. A resource using the Quality Health Outcomes Model (QHOM) to frame nurses contributions to quality health outcomes. 2021 QSEN International Forum. Championing Quality and Safety Through Academic Practice Partnership. Virtual conference (invited)
- November 2020 Baernholdt, M. Globalizing the curriculum. Global Health: The Changing Prognosis. The 2020 Community College Program, World View, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (invited)
- November 2019 Baernholdt M. The role of nurses in providing high quality and safe healthcare. Chan Gung University of Science and Technology, Chi Mei Medical Center, and The Taiwanese Nursing Organization, Taiwan (invited)
- September 2018 Baernholdt, M. How nurses practice quality of care- evidence, stories, and solutions. Keynote at the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses 27th Annual Convention, Disney’s Coronado Springs, Lake Buena Vista, Florida (invited)
- May 2018 Baernholdt, M. Integrating the National Collaborative for Improving the Interprofessional Clinical Learning Environment (NCICLE) Recommendations. The 2018 QSEN International Forum. Oceans of Opportunity: Evidence-based Practice to Improve Quality and Safety in Education and Practice, Bonita Springs Florida (invited)
- May 2018 Baernholdt, M., Feldman, M., Dow, A., Mobley, D., Harvey, D., Murphy, J., Davis-Ajami, M. L., Mazmanian, P. & Watts, C. An interprofessional quality improvement training program that improves educational and quality outcomes. The 2018 QSEN International Forum. Oceans of Opportunity: Evidence-based Practice to Improve Quality and Safety in Education and Practice, Bonita Springs Florida
- March 2021 Beeber, L. Baernholdt, M., Giscombe, C. Rodgers, S., Fisher, E. B., Luu, S. Implementing an Inclusive Peer Support Plan for an Academic Unit: Aspirations, Challenges, and Progress to Date. Virtual 2021 Behavioral Health Convening: Resilience, The UNC System
- April 2018 Baernholdt M. Rural Nursing Practice: Challenges and Rewards. The Judy C Kandzari Memorial Lecture at University of West Virginia, School of Nursing, Morgantown, West Virginia (invited)
- March 2018 Baernholdt, M. Expanding Nursing Science in Global Rural Healthcare Quality. Keynote at the Southern Nursing Research Society’s 32nd Annual Conference 2018, Atlanta, Georgia (invited)
- March 2015 Baernholdt, M. Quality and Safety: The Role of the Nurse Practitioner” Keynote at the 2015 Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners (VCNP) Annual Conference, Roanoke Virginia (invited)
- February 2015 Baernholdt, M. Hinton, I, Yan, G. & Rachmawaty, R. Pressure Ulcer Prevention: How are we doing? Presentation at the Southern Nursing Research Society’s 29th Annual Conference 2015, Tampa, Florida
- September 2014 Baernholdt, M. Does context matter? Work environment and quality of care in rural and urban hospitals. Presentation at the Virginia Nurses Association Education Day: Navigating the Future of Healthcare: Work Environment, Workforce, & Public Policy, Richmond, Virginia (invited).
- January 2015: Baernholdt, M. Context Does Matter: Comparisons of Urban and Rural Quality of Care. Department of Healthcare Policy and Research, Virginia Commonwealth University.
- September 2013: Haller, T., Baernholdt, M., & Jones, R. Current Issues in Global Health Policy: Stories from 2013 World Health Assembly and ICN Congress.
- November 2021 Montgomery, A.P., Patrcian, P. A., Baernholdt, M., & Azuero, A. (2021, November). Nurse work environment and burnout impact patient safety grade. [Poster Presentation] International Council of Nurses (ICN) Congress. Nursing Around the World, 2021 (virtual)
- October 2021 McBride, S., Alexander, G., Baernholdt, M., Vugrin, M., and Epstein, B. Scoping Review: Impact of Technology on Clinician Well-Being. American Academy of Nursing 2021 Health Policy Conference: Healthy Lives for All People Advancing Equity, Science and Trust. Virtual Poster: Washington D.C.
- June 2021 Campbell, C. M., Jones, T., Montgomery, A., Anusiewicz, C., Baernholdt, M., & Patrician, P. (2021, June 14-17). Unfinished nursing care and nurse satisfaction with the electronic health record. [Student poster presentation]. Academy Health Annual Research Meeting (virtual)
- September 2020 Montgomery, (previous known as Prapanjaroensin), A. P., Baernholdt, M., Jones, T., & Patrician, P. How work environment and quality improvement ratings impact patient safety and quality of care. [Poster Presentation]. The 2020 State of Science Congress on Nursing Research (virtual)
- July 2020 Campbell, C. M., Prapanjaroensin, A., Anusiewicz, C., Baernholdt, M., Jones, T., & Patrician, P. Variables associated with missed nursing care in Alabama: A cross-sectional analysis. AcademyHealth: Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues. AcademyHealth Student Poster Session. Nominated for Best Student Poster 2020. (Virtual).
- June 2019 Clement, J. Baernholdt, M., & Pryor, J. Urban and rural differences in skilled nursing facility rehospitalization performance. AcademyHealth 2019 Annual Research Meeting, Washington D.C.
- June 2018 Baernholdt, M., Hinton, I., Yan, G., Cramer, E., & Dunton, N. Longitudinal Effects of Preventive Care Interventions on Pressure Ulcers in Rural and Urban Nursing Units. AcademyHealth 2018 Annual Research Meeting, Seattle, WA.
- June 2018 Baernholdt, M., Feldman, M., Dow, A., Mobley, D., Harvey, D., & Murphy, J. An interprofessional quality improvement training program that improves educational and quality outcomes. AAMC 2018 Integrating Quality Conference: A Decade of Progress Bridging Health Care Quality and Education, Arlington, VA.
- June 2017 Bachnick, S. Ausserhofer, D., Baernholdt, M, & Simon, M. Patient-centered care is associated with nurses’ work environment and rationing of nursing care in Swiss acute care hospitals. AcademyHealth 2017 Annual Research Meeting, New Orleans, LA
- June 2017 Clement, J., Khushalani, J. & Baernholdt, M. Urban-rural differences in nursing home rehospitalization rates. AcademyHealth 2017 Annual Research Meeting, New Orleans, LA
- May 2017 Baernholdt, M., Feldman, M., Davis-Ajami, M. L., Alan Dow, A., Dale Harvey, D., Mazmanian, P., Mobley, D. S., Murphy, J., & Watts, C. Increasing patient safety through nurse-physician collaboration: developing leadership quality improvement capacity. International Council of Nurses Congress. Nurses at the forefront transforming care. Barcelona, Spain
- June 2016 Baernholdt, M., Hinton, I. D., Yan, G., Xin, W., Cramer, E., & Dunton, N. Differences in pressure ulcer rates according to geographic location in a national sample of nursing units. AcademyHealth 2016 Annual Research Meeting, Boston, MA.
- April 2016 Baernholdt, M. Creating a Center to Enhance Innovations in Quality and Safety Education, Research, Practice, Organization, and Policy. International Forum on Quality & Safety in Healthcare 2016, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- January 2016 Brashers, V., Quatrara, B., Tullman, D., Baernholdt, M., Owens, J., & Kennedy, C. Creating a Culture of Safety: The University of Virginia Curriculum for Interprofessional Education for Patient Safety and Quality Improvement. AACN Doctoral Education Conference 2016, Naples, Florida
- October 2015 Baernholdt, M., Yan, G., Hinton, I. & Xin, W. Does Location Matter? Fall Rates in Urban and Rural Nursing Units. 2015 AHRQ Research Conference 2015, Washington DC.
- October 2015 Baernholdt, M., Yan, G., Hinton, I. & Xin, W. Does Location Matter? Fall Rates in Urban and Rural Nursing Units. 2015 AHRQ Research Conference 2015, Washington DC.
- May 2015 Baernholdt M. & Jennings, B.M. Looking at Patient Falls in Hospitals: Administrative Tick Marks or Staff Nurse Turmoil? The 11th International Conference on Occupational Stress and Health. Work, Stress and Health 2015, Atlanta, Georgia.
- May 2014: Campbell, C., Baernholdt, M., Plews-Ogan, J., Plews-Ogan, M. & Dillingham, R. A tripartite interprofessional collaboration in Limpopo province: Community health worker training in diabetes and hypertension. Abstract published in the Conference proceedings of 5th Annual Conference of the Consortium for Universities of Global Health.
- February 2014: Baernholdt, M., Campbell, C., Dillingham, R., Maluleke, M., Netshikweta, L., Plews-Ogan, J., Plews-Ogan, M., Sebola, V., & Shin, C. Improving health through education and collaboration: a partnership between two universities and a health department. Poster presentation at Nursing Leadership in Global health 2014, Nashville, Tennessee.
- March 2013: Thompson-Heisterman, A., Richardson, J., Netshandama, V., Dillingham, R., Louis, G., Baernholdt, M. & Firehock, K. Learning from our partners: The use of Appreciative Inquiry to discover capacity and nurture community- centric solutions to water and health challenges in rural Limpopo Province. Poster presented at The Consortium of Universities for Global Health’s 4th Annual Conference, Washington DC.