Research Competencies and Terminal Outcomes
PhD students must possess the following research competencies in order to complete the dissertation and proceed toward a program of research:
- Synthesize the literature in a focused area.
- Develop a problem statement and purpose in a focused area of inquiry.
- Evaluate theoretical/conceptual frameworks for applicability in designing a study.
- Identify and critique research methods for appropriateness in a given study.
- Utilize a research design that is consistent with the problem statement, purpose, and theoretical/conceptual framework.
- Identify, critique, and apply strategies for conceptualizing and/or operationalizing research variables.
- Write a research grant proposal.
- Use sound and consistent methods to ethically conduct data gathering activities.
- Ethically conduct research and adhere to standards of scientific integrity.
- Develop a systematic approach to data management including data entry, cleaning, tracking, and maintaining confidentiality.
- Utilize appropriate data analysis techniques consistent with the purpose and design of a study.
- Interpret and synthesize the findings in light of the existing literature and theoretical framework, and identify relevance for practice and future research.
- Disseminate papers through selected peer-reviewed outlets including abstracts, presentations, and publications.
At the end of the PhD Program students are expected to demonstrate the following PhD program outcomes:
- Exemplify an understanding of the importance of diversity through promotion of inclusion at all levels of research from conceptualization to dissemination.
- Demonstrate scientific integrity and the protection of human subjects in the design, conduct, analysis and dissemination of research.
- Integrate information, traditions, and cultural norms to conceptualize research problems, generate and disseminate evidence, and lead research to achieve health equity in all environments.
- Design, test, and disseminate science that shifts paradigms, overcomes barriers, and re-envisions solutions to improve healthcare delivery, improve health, and achieve health equity.
- Optimize existing and develop new information and data science and technology to improve healthcare delivery, improve health, and achieve health equity.
- Lead the generation of new knowledge and collaborative scholarship for advocacy and policy development to improve healthcare delivery, improve health, and achieve health equity.
- Critically evaluate and advance research on the contextual complexities that exist across populations and systems to improve healthcare delivery, improve health, and achieve health equity.
- Advance the science that improves system effectiveness and generate and test interventions to promote high-quality, safe, and equitable care.
- Exemplify relationship-centered caring as a core value and an essential dimension of nursing research in all of its contexts.
- Generate new knowledge to advance science, policy, and practice that improves the health of individuals, families, communities, populations and systems.
- Translate new knowledge through scholarly writing and other modalities to improve healthcare delivery, improve health, and achieve health equity.