Active and visionary thinking, the fearless advancement of innovation through creativity, and the pursuit of unrestrained scientific inquiry on behalf of people in need: this is how Carolina nurses change lives, and this is how the UNC School of Nursing shapes a profession.
With a proud history of firsts in the state of North Carolina and an exemplary heritage of bests among schools of nursing in the country, Carolina educates and graduates talented students for leadership in practice, research, education and administration.
Carolina Nursing has adopted the ambitious vision to be what we have been: First in Nursing.
We are following a thoughtfully developed strategic plan to guide our activities and initiatives to help us meet that goal. Learn more about it here.
Students interested in the best preparation for a fulfilling career in nursing may choose from our full complement of academic programs.
Enhance the value of your degree by earning it from a nationally ranked school at the top of its game.
- Ranked 5th among US master’s nursing programs ranked by U.S. News and World Report for 2020, and first among public schools of nursing
- 9th overall for the DNP Program
- 4th for Nursing Administration
- 9th for NP in Psych-Mental Health
- 14th for Family Nurse Practitioner
- Ranked 4th among US schools of nursing by the American Health Council
- Ranked 5th among nursing schools worldwide in the 2019 Shanghai Ranking‘s Academic Ranking of World Universities
- Ranked 11th in the 2019 QS Top Universities World Ranking of Colleges of Nursing
- A 97 percent first-time pass rate on NCLEX in 2018
We meet and surpass all accreditation benchmarks.
The School of Nursing is dedicated to the pursuit of useful new knowledge and to its translation to practice.
We are committed to, and recognized for, the study of prevention and management of chronic illness, capitalizing on our faculty’s diversity and strengths in the arenas of health promotion and protection, human responses to illness, and models and outcomes in health care systems.
Carolina Nursing is one of only a handful of schools in the country to house a Biobehavioral Laboratory, with the primary purpose of assisting and promoting faculty and students’ efforts in the use of biobehavioral measures and physiological parameters in their research.
The School not only educates students and performs research in a variety of health care related areas, but also amply serves our local and global communities.
- We offer renowned continuing education programs
- Faculty partner with North Carolina’s Area Health Education Centers to provide educational programs aimed at improving the health of the people of North Carolina
- The School maintains high quality and diverse clinical partnerships allowing our faculty to practice and our students to learn in some of the best health care organizations and agencies in North Carolina and the nation
- We run a mobile health clinic to serve vulnerable populations in Wake County
- We export the expertise of our faculty to universities and health care institutions throughout the world to improve health care and methods of teaching and research
- We maintain a vibrant International Visiting Scholars program to mentor nurse scholars from other countries