Congratulations to Professor Mary Lynn, PhD, RN who was recently awarded a grant from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, Center for Regulatory Excellence to study the Successful Transition of New Graduate Registered Nurses in U.S. Hospitals: Education, Practice and Policy Implications. Her Co-Investigator on the study is Professor Cheryl Jones, PhD, RN, FAAN.
The project—the first of its kind on the topic—will run from March 2016–February 2018. It is designed to examine the state of the hundreds of new graduate RN transition programs that have been launched in US hospitals over the last 15 years to determine program variables and outcomes and to inform regulatory bodies of the characteristics to consider if these programs are to be required before a nurse is fully licensed.
The project will be guided by a 10-member Advisory Board including:
- James (Billy) W. Bevill, Jr., MSN, RN, Director Nursing Practice and Professional Development, UNC Health Care, Chapel Hill, NC
- Dora A. Bradley, PhD, RN, Vice President, Nursing Professional Development, Baylor Health Care System, Dallas, TX
- Wendy C. Budin, PhD, RN,Research Scientist, College of Nursing, New York University, New York, NY
- Sheila M. Ferrall, MS, RN, Director of Nursing Practice, Education and Clinical Effectiveness, Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, FL
- Linda D. Hofler, PhD, RN,Senior Vice President/Nurse Executive, Vidant Medical Center, Greenville, NC
- Christine (Chris) T. Kovner, PhD, RN,Professor, College of Nursing, New York University, New York, NY
- Debra McElroy, MPH, RN,Associate Vice President, Nursing Programs, Vizient (the new name for the merger of the University HealthSystem Consortium and VHA), Chicago, IL
- Jennifer Craft Morgan, PhD,Assistant Professor, Gerontology Institute, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
- Marilyn Oermann, PhD, RN,Director of Evaluation and Educational Research, School of Nursing, Duke University, Durham, NC
- Robyn Setter, MSN, RN,Coordinator for the Nurse Residency Program and Education Specialist, The Kansas Hospital Authority, Kansas City, KS